+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renewing valves

I'm Ben.

Default Renewing valves

I've a consonance valve amp which has been my main amp for a few years now. I've never had any need to touch the valves but want to give it a freshen up so to speak. info on my amp is on the below link. I know nothing about valves so am wondering which ones I should replace first EL34/6550,12AT7, 6SN7? are any more important than others?

http://www.opera-consonance.com/prod...er100-el34.htm

I know the amp is auto biasing so the valves should be simple to remove and replace.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ben
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The front end valves will probably be fine, so I'd replace the power valves first.

No harm in having a few spares though, and different makes will have slightly different sound, so it's worth buying some different makes and seeing which you prefer.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The front end valves tend to make more of a difference to the sound than the power valves- moving from EL34 to 6550 notwithstanding.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    The front end valves will probably be fine, so I'd replace the power valves first.

No harm in having a few spares though, and different makes will have slightly different sound, so it's worth buying some different makes and seeing which you prefer.
    Your have to fill me in a bit more here Ali, which are the power valves please?
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The EL34 or 6550, whichever you have fitted. Might be worth buying a set of each to see which you like best.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ben.

Thanks Ali

il get a couple on order now.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Can recommend Hotrox-

http://www.hotroxuk.com/matched-valv...6l6-909-0.html

Not the cheapest maybe, but service is top notch, and they do matched sets too.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ben.

Cheers Ali I will keep that link for future reference

I've just pushed the button on these

http://www.jellyfishaudio.com/VAL003.html
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    The front end valves tend to make more of a difference to the sound than the power valves- moving from EL34 to 6550 notwithstanding.
    Got to agree, from experience I have found that excellent quality first stage valves make a much bigger difference than do power valves. I used Gold Lion gold pinned valves and they were sublime (12AX7 and 12AU7)

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    Cheers Ali I will keep that link for future reference

I've just pushed the button on these

http://www.jellyfishaudio.com/VAL003.html
    They aren't terrible, I've the same in my amplifier and a spare set I got cheap. They came in it stock and as I say aren't terrible but will be replaced cos I'm a snob.

I've gone for replacing the pre amp tubes first and have gone vintage British.

I can't recommend vintage Brimar/Mullard/Mazda enough.

Be warned. This can be an addiction. I've now lots of "spares".
    Last edited by agk; 20-01-2017 at 13:02.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast