So I finally received my Clearaudio Weightwatcher a few weeks ago and thought I'd offer an opinion.

Most cart manufacturers specify a reasonably broad VTF range, for example 1.8 - 2.5g, but a handful don't. My Allaerts has to operate within 0.1g either side of 1.8g if it's to operate and sound at its best.

Previously I had been using one of those cheap (£20) generic electronic Chinese scales from eBay and even though I'd changed batteries and recalibrated it a number of times it wasn't consistent. I put this down to the arm drifting but always found it difficult to believe this could happen over a 48 hour period, for example. So sensitive is the Allaerts that inconsistencies were always apparent with sound quality.

The Chinese (rebranded for many other manufacturers) had one other flaw - the weighing platform was too high and to have it at the right position of a 120g (happy medium) vinyl it needed to sit on a makeshift platform alongside the platter. I was never happy with this as VTF changes with stylus height.

So I took the plunge and spent €220 on the Clear Audio. Worth it? Read on...

1. Build quality - superb. Lots of aluminium in the casing and weighing/calibration platform.

Soft, small sorbithane feet protect your platter.

LCD screen is super bright and easily readable.

Quibble? Well the function buttons are a little stiff and require some pressure to activate, which if it was on a belt driven platter with spring suspension would piss you off.

Yes you could switch it on before placing it but it's best not moved once activated and self calibrated.

It isn't a problem for me with the DD SP10.

2. Positioning - perfect. The actual measuring 'lip', where you place the stylus is at the correct height for a 120g vinyl when the weightwatcher is in situ on the platter.

The weightwatcher needs to be perfectly level, easily checked with a spirit level on the large calibrating platform.

My tenutu platter mat is slightly raised towards the outer edge but 2 little paper shims have that sorted.

3. Performance - absolute consistency, every day at 1.8g for the last couple of weeks. Each switch on of the system and drop off the needle has given exactly the same performance from the Allaerts. Wonderful.

4. Value for money - in this game reliability is worth a lot. So, yes.

Adey.

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk