+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clearaudio Weightwatcher - thoughts

I'm Adrian.

Default Clearaudio Weightwatcher - thoughts

So I finally received my Clearaudio Weightwatcher a few weeks ago and thought I'd offer an opinion.

Most cart manufacturers specify a reasonably broad VTF range, for example 1.8 - 2.5g, but a handful don't. My Allaerts has to operate within 0.1g either side of 1.8g if it's to operate and sound at its best.

Previously I had been using one of those cheap (£20) generic electronic Chinese scales from eBay and even though I'd changed batteries and recalibrated it a number of times it wasn't consistent. I put this down to the arm drifting but always found it difficult to believe this could happen over a 48 hour period, for example. So sensitive is the Allaerts that inconsistencies were always apparent with sound quality.

The Chinese (rebranded for many other manufacturers) had one other flaw - the weighing platform was too high and to have it at the right position of a 120g (happy medium) vinyl it needed to sit on a makeshift platform alongside the platter. I was never happy with this as VTF changes with stylus height.

So I took the plunge and spent €220 on the Clear Audio. Worth it? Read on...

1. Build quality - superb. Lots of aluminium in the casing and weighing/calibration platform.

Soft, small sorbithane feet protect your platter.

LCD screen is super bright and easily readable.

Quibble? Well the function buttons are a little stiff and require some pressure to activate, which if it was on a belt driven platter with spring suspension would piss you off.

Yes you could switch it on before placing it but it's best not moved once activated and self calibrated.

It isn't a problem for me with the DD SP10.

2. Positioning - perfect. The actual measuring 'lip', where you place the stylus is at the correct height for a 120g vinyl when the weightwatcher is in situ on the platter.

The weightwatcher needs to be perfectly level, easily checked with a spirit level on the large calibrating platform.

My tenutu platter mat is slightly raised towards the outer edge but 2 little paper shims have that sorted.

3. Performance - absolute consistency, every day at 1.8g for the last couple of weeks. Each switch on of the system and drop off the needle has given exactly the same performance from the Allaerts. Wonderful.

4. Value for money - in this game reliability is worth a lot. So, yes.

Adey.

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Grant.

A lot of money Adey, but if its working well then cheap at price for you. Ive a cheap chinese one too and not had any trouble with it fortunately, and still retain my balance scales in case.
    Looks like a nice low platform on that one.
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.6- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. BERESFORD SWITCHBOX. - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - CREEK OBH-11SE HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - TANDBERG TCD310 - CARTS.. AT95 Shibata, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Adey. The Clearaudio is also my selected 'weapon' of choice!

Not the cheapest, for sure, but IMO the best at reasonably sensible money - and certainly more accurate than the cheapo Chinese ones I've used before, which proved to be a false economy [sorry Grant].

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

"Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Modified Goldpoint SA4M-47 passive preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

+ Reply to Thread