+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Online Hi-Fi Magazine

I'm Clive.

I'm not comfortable with the business model 6moons use but I suppose at least they are open about. Some of the writing turns me off, I often give up part way through an article.

There's also www.enjoythemusic.com which is funded by adverts which are not required for reviews to take place.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Jez.

Can't stand any of 'em but Stereophile personally. 6moons is verbal diarrhoea of the worst sort and they do most reviews using equipment I don't consider hi fi , such as SET amps... waste of time.
    No review should be paid for in any way shape or form and magazines and reviewers must be 100% impartial IMHO. In the case of on line reviews/magazines then one is not even paying a cover price and so I can't see how it's possible for them to be any more use than a chocolate fire guard... their income must be coming entirely from advertisers etc and so any and all reviews can be expected to be completely biased... with no doubt the company paying the most for a review getting the most "stars" or greatest recommendation... No names no pack drill but one of the sites mentioned in this thread tried to solicit a bribe from me in order to get a good review... I told them to shove it where the sun don't shine, as I would always do to anything underhand such as this. The review did not take place.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    HiFi Pig - One of my favourite online magazines.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Aaw thanks, Adey. Now have around 62 000 unique readers a month, so, despite what one of the mods on here thinks, we must be doing something right. To set the record straight, our news section carries news that is supplied by companies (obviously) and is completely separate from the review section and this is clear in the meta. Cheers, Stu
    Hifi Pig snoofling out what's hot in hifi.

I'm Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Tiz good too
    Thanks Steve. The fiver's in the post !

I'm Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    They do some great reviews too.
    Thanks Craig.

I'm Neil.

Not 6Loons. Everything makes a difference to them to the extent where a hardened subjectivist raises their eyebrows. For something a bit meatier have enjoyed the Linear Audio pieces.

I like the enthusiasts background of HiFi Pig, but would like to see some negative reviews too to add some balance and allow for some bearings to be set between what is considered good and bad.

Traditional rags, Stereophile for me.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Stu.

Scuse over excitement but Hifi Pig is one of only five English language media quoted (and with the biggest quote of all) in the official Invitation To Munich High-End brochure!!! #feelingproud

I'm Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Not 6Loons. Everything makes a difference to them to the extent where a hardened subjectivist raises their eyebrows. For something a bit meatier have enjoyed the Linear Audio pieces.

I like the enthusiasts background of HiFi Pig, but would like to see some negative reviews too to add some balance and allow for some bearings to be set between what is considered good and bad.

Traditional rags, Stereophile for me.
    This comes from when we started and us only been able to get gear from Fred in his shed. I didn't want to be the one o slate a product and see it ruin a blokes little business...i also don't think folk want to read about crap kit...hence the snoofling out what's hot in hifi thing we used. We explain it all in the faqs and we're pretty up front about why we do it !

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by stupinder View Post
    .i also don't think folk want to read about crap kit...!
    I think they do. Nothing more entertaining than a review that absolutely slams the product.

Not that I'm telling you how to run your mag or anything, seems to be doing well. Personally I like to read about the problem areas, not how good it is. It is the problem areas you have to live with if you are going to buy it and nothing is perfect.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think they do. Nothing more entertaining than a review that absolutely slams the product.

Not that I'm telling you how to run your mag or anything, seems to be doing well. Personally I like to read about the problem areas, not how good it is. It is the problem areas you have to live with if you are going to buy it and nothing is perfect.
    Nothing is perfect as you say and why we have the AT A GLANCE section where pros and cons are highlighted...which are themselves drawn out from the main body text.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123