+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkless MC Head Amp: A taster

I'm Gary.

Default Arkless MC Head Amp: A taster

Hello, All. This is by way of being my first impressions of my new Arkless Electronics Mk II Head Amp, which I received today.
    I will provide a more detailed review when I have more listening hours under my belt, so I'll keep it simple and to the point for now: I am seriously impressed with this piece of kit!
    Here is what it looks like.

It's a very nicely-presented package - no nonsense, just what you need, neatly and expertly assembled into two simple but handsome units. The power supply is housed in a chunky (and very heavy) black acrylic box with just an "on" warning light on the front. It is clearly intended to be stowed away from your replay equipment (for which purpose it has been given enough mains and connecting cable to allow it to be housed in next-door's attic!). The head amp itself lives in a two-piece pressed and perforated steel enclosure. That was my choice - it's a look I like. I think Jez is able to accommodate other aesthetic preferences as well. Nothing but a green "on" warning indicator on the front. The back panel carries the input/output sockets, loading plug sockets, power input socket and earthing point. All very nicely organized and extremely neatly executed, complete with appropriate legend so that the easily confused - like me - can't get into trouble.

Jez is on record as saying that the kit he designs and builds is easily comparable in terms of performance with "branded" luxury hi-fi costing a great deal more. (He also concedes that it's a bit of a Mandy Rice Davis remark, in that he would say that, wouldn't he?) So is he right? Does it deliver the goods or do we start calling him Mandy? The answer is, we do not. This is a wonderful piece of equipment. Even in the few hours I have been using it, it has comfortably exceeded my expectations. However, I want to give it a thoroughly good appraisal and get my thoughts in order before I post a more detailed review, because it deserves that. And because you, dear members, will find that more useful I hope.

So, heads up for more to come next week, when I can get this grin off my face and settle down to jotting some thoughts down on paper.
    IB.

Bigman80 Guest

Looking forward to this. Jez is very confident in regards to his ability to build quality units (which I don't doubt) so it'll be good to see an up to date review of a new piece.

I like the looks. And the build quality of the internals looked very perfectly neat. I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Hello, All. This is by way of being my first impressions of my new Arkless Electronics Mk II Head Amp, which I received today.
    I will provide a more detailed review when I have more listening hours under my belt, so I'll keep it simple and to the point for now: I am seriously impressed with this piece of kit!
    Here is what it looks like.

It's a very nicely-presented package - no nonsense, just what you need, neatly and expertly assembled into two simple but handsome units. The power supply is housed in a chunky (and very heavy) black acrylic box with just an "on" warning light on the front. It is clearly intended to be stowed away from your replay equipment (for which purpose it has been given enough mains and connecting cable to allow it to be housed in next-door's attic!). The head amp itself lives in a two-piece pressed and perforated steel enclosure. That was my choice - it's a look I like. I think Jez is able to accommodate other aesthetic preferences as well. Nothing but a green "on" warning indicator on the front. The back panel carries the input/output sockets, loading plug sockets, power input socket and earthing point. All very nicely organized and extremely neatly executed, complete with appropriate legend so that the easily confused - like me - can't get into trouble.

Jez is on record as saying that the kit he designs and builds is easily comparable in terms of performance with "branded" luxury hi-fi costing a great deal more. (He also concedes that it's a bit of a Mandy Rice Davis remark, in that he would say that, wouldn't he?) So is he right? Does it deliver the goods or do we start calling him Mandy? The answer is, we do not. This is a wonderful piece of equipment. Even in the few hours I have been using it, it has comfortably exceeded my expectations. However, I want to give it a thoroughly good appraisal and get my thoughts in order before I post a more detailed review, because it deserves that. And because you, dear members, will find that more useful I hope.

So, heads up for more to come next week, when I can get this grin off my face and settle down to jotting some thoughts down on paper.
    IB.
    Price?

I'm Jez.

And "Clarkey555" has just left with the Arkless 640P demonstrator so look out for the first fresh review on that for quite some time folks...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Price?
    £750 but if one wants "bling" casework it would put it up a bit.

This is the thread showing the build etc http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...for-a-customer
    Last edited by Arkless Electronics; 07-01-2017 at 14:02.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Price?
    Better ask Jez, to be honest. It's not a cheapie unit, but it's certainly not expensive for what you get.
    IB.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How similar is this to the one you sent me to try Jez?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    How similar is this to the one you sent me to try Jez?
    If you mean the demo prototype one in he same casework then that one later had further upgrades to it before it was sold to "Alcarmichael" of this parish.... This one incorporates my new voltage regulator technology and should have the edge on that one even after it's upgrades.The actual amplifier bit is the same. (sorry Alcarmichael but the new bits are not retro-fittable )

Even in the same form you tried it in Marco rated it as on a par with his Ortofon ST80 SUT @ about £1400, better in some areas, not so good in others.... This then should beat the £1400 SUT.... Oh and IIRC "Alcarmichael" compared his (after the upgrades) to an £850 SUT and thought the Arkless head amp thrashed it!
    Last edited by Arkless Electronics; 06-01-2017 at 20:25.

I'm Alan.

Jez Im sure this will sound excellent like all your kit but Im going to be brutally honest here on looks alone it gets 1/10 for me.
    The presentation of the product gets you 75% of the way towards selling them, there are plenty of decent looking cases out there on the internet and you need to factor that into the price if you are going to be successful in this venture, IMHO of course

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Gary.

My fault I'm afraid, Alan. I specifically asked for the unit to be built into this type of case. I had seen a picture of an earlier prototype built into one of these, and I liked it - it's a look that appeals to me!

Jez offers to build them into whatever casework you like (final price varies), but yes, I'm afraid this was what I wanted.
    IB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast