+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can vinyl image like digital?

I'm Matt.

It may be placebo, but it seems better since swapping the noisy valve.

I'm Matt.

Just to add to the above -

Just sat through JC From Folsom Prison, JC From San Quentin and now Kraftwerk Autobahn and there is definitely a massive improvement, it can only have been that duff valve, I'm not sure how it effected vinyl more than digital but it can only be that.

I'm now looking forward to trying both a step up into the MM stage in the Luxman and a new cart at some stage as I don't think the Apheta is up to much if I'm honest.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    The speaker cable you are using is only suitable for a budget system, not yours. Your comment tells me all I need to know regarding that so I will leave you to it.
    Likewise that comment tells me all I need to know

I'm Neil.

With regard to HiFi, the best digital has the dynamic contrast & 3D soundstage (and subjective 'naturalness') of good analogue, and the best analogue has the precision & neutrality of good digital.

...big problem is there's a lot of better masterings out there on old vinyl, sometimes vice-versa (more so now with digitally remastered vinyl), making the CD / vinyl argument rather moot in a lot of cases.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 09-01-2017 at 15:53.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    With regard to HiFi, the best digital has the dynamic contrast & 3D soundstage (and subjective 'naturalness') of good analogue, and the best analogue has the precision & neutrality of good digital.
    Like it!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    And of course, tracking below 20Hz is seriously not a good idea unless you want to track record warps and other low frequency anomalies. This would once again cause problems with a stylus tracing a physical groove. It would also cause serious problems with loudspeaker cone excursions that would be very negative to music reproduction.
    I guess that rules out some organ music with notes from 32 foot or even 64 foot stops, then. Is it really impossible to do that?

May not be too pleasant, but I think it's possible with some systems.
    Dave

I'm Martin.

I think he lowest note on a pipe organ is 8Hz but only a few can do it. The Atlantic City one for example. But a vinyl LP won't do 16hz, no matter how much you spend on equipment. You will only hear the harmonic, in mono.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think he lowest note on a pipe organ is 8Hz but only a few can do it. The Atlantic City one for example. But a vinyl LP won't do 16hz, no matter how much you spend on equipment. You will only hear the harmonic, in mono.
    You won't here 8Hz on any HIFI system and you would be very lucky to hear 16Hz. Most folks speakers probably only do 40Hz or maybe 30Kz.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Not true, there are systems that will go that low. The celestions I used to have had output down below 20 hz. Not flat but useful output still. There are subwoofer designs that will run flat down to that level. You need a few thousand watts of course but power is cheap these days.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

You won't hear it but you will feel it. When I had the KEF 107's I would sit there marvelling at the how my body, sofa, doors etc were vibrating like buggery but I couldn't hear owt.

18hz - wonderful.
    Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps