+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can vinyl image like digital?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Matt.

Default Can vinyl image like digital?

My digital source cost about £100 new, my analogue source cost about £2k USED.

And yet I would say pretty much most of the time the digital source images much better and can do the whole 3D holographic thing much better also, I do love vinyl and it is my primary source but when I play something off the digital source I do often think I'm missing out on a lot.

I'm Alan.

Oh yes

You need a very good phono stage though.

I'm Jez.

It does it better I would say....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Neil.

Something seriously wrong here. In my experience vinyl (when everything is optimal) will have greater depth, width and height of image over digital which in my long experience is flatter and less dimensional than vinyl.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Short answer is yes, best I have heard in 3d imaging was from digital but it was an active system but I have heard some seriously impressive holographics from vinyl. Look to the phonostage. A 2 box Paradise effort and the Music First phono stage both do amazing imaging, I wouldn't have said it was possible until I heard it. But the Paradise is a quite expensive DIY build and the Music First is so expensive even the designer can't afford one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Short answer is yes, best I have heard in 3d imaging was from digital but it was an active system but I have heard some seriously impressive holographics from vinyl. Look to the phonostage. A 2 box Paradise effort and the Music First phono stage both do amazing imaging, I wouldn't have said it was possible until I heard it. But the Paradise is a quite expensive DIY build and the Music First is so expensive even the designer can't afford one.
    Strangely enough my best ever experience with imaging and soundstaging was also from digital... A £2K or so old Marantz CD player going through an Arkless pre and Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20 into re-built ESL57's.... Generally though all my wow moments on the soundstaging front have been from vinyl...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

You feel you could walk about in the soundstage from my Yatra.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

I think that without doubt a lot is dependent on the recording but a lot of my synth based music has some phenomenal 180 degree imaging that I very rarely hear from vinyl. Also of course there are some phase separations that cannot be tracked by a stylus and bass and other low frequencies that have to be in mono only on vinyl. Once again, I think that vinyl shows its age when asked to do things that it cannot do and I think that in itself is part of the problem. If we ask vinyl to keep within its envelope there is no problem at all.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I think that without doubt a lot is dependent on the recording but a lot of my synth based music has some phenomenal 180 degree imaging that I very rarely hear from vinyl.
    Interesting, because it's when I'm listening to electronic music that I notice it the most.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    Interesting, because it's when I'm listening to electronic music that I notice it the most.
    All I can add is that I have never heard it from any of my vinyl turntables in the past but I am always aware of it with digital. Now once again that could be to do with mixing and mastering about which I have no knowledge so it is possible that things are very toned down for vinyl because of its serious limitations when compared to CD. My best vinyl LP for imaging is 'Beaucoup Fish' by Underworld. Brilliant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast