+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Can vinyl image like digital?

I'm Shaun.

I also remember way back many years ago that it was said to reproduce correct low frequencies your room had to be a minimum of 24 feet long so that you could produce a genuine wavelength. I know this has nothing to do with imaging though so apologies, just carrying a conversation that has arisen.

I'm James.

Even the massive Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF only does 19.5 Hz.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Mine go lower than that.
    But you're not most folks.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Err you find me a pair of speakers that do 8Hz. I bet your Celetions did not do 20Hz, they may have quoted that on spec but in real life I bet they didn't.

It was verified by independent measurement, they were not flat down to 20Hz, only 35hz, but useful output went below 20Hz (i.e less than 12dB down). The JM labs I have now are flat to 40Hz but do pretty much nothing below that and it is noticeable compared to the Celestions.

Agree with you about most people's speakers but most people tend to use teeny tiny little things that essentially do not do any bass at all.

There are several subwoofer designs that will do 8Hz, I didn't suggest there were speakers that go that low but there might be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

The kef 107's could and did go down to 18hz. The Raven Talons down to 19hz. Whether they go down uniformly I don't know - but any output below 30hz is useful. Good cabinet design, long throw drivers and wide bandwidth equipment, room interaction can all help. The point is, until you've experienced it it's easy (easier) to dismiss what you're missing as non existent or not doable. But that doesnt mean it isn't.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Shaun.

Regarding low frequency sounds I am not really interested in the numbers game. I can easily hear what Younger Brother records on his CD's as well as many more artists and one thing I know from experience is that a synth can go bloody low using a sub oscillator. I just love that low frequency sound that appears to come from everywhere and fills the room with awesomeness. Bloody love it, whatever frequency it is.

I'm Shaun.

Regarding stereo imaging, I have Uni-Q drivers in my loudspeakers so I am surrounded by swirling images. Bloody love that too.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    The kef 107's could and did go down to 18hz. The Raven Talons down to 19hz. Whether they go down uniformly I don't know - but any output below 30hz is useful. Good cabinet design, long throw drivers and wide bandwidth equipment, room interaction can all help. The point is, until you've experienced it it's easy (easier) to dismiss what you're missing as non existent or not doable. But that doesnt mean it isn't.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    I agree with you Adrian anything below 30Hz has lots of info that substantiates everything else. Scale especially is good when you get to around 30-40Kz and below. It seems to allow the ear to hear the high frequency stuff better and with greater definition.

I am just pissed off I can only manage about 60Hz and would need a much larger room and speakers to achieve what I would like to hear.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Sean.

more bass you say!

saw the photo on the yaqin facebook page and couldn't resist

I'm paul.

Isn't imaging an illusion created by engineers in the digital domain, if so only modern vinyl should be compared with digital.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast