+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad wee things about this hobby of ours that makes us smile...

I'm Gary.

Default Sad wee things about this hobby of ours that makes us smile...

Digital and vinyl guy here, over the years I've seen a lot of tbings come and go; kit you regret selling, stuff glad to be rid of!
    Sometimes its the little things you miss and for me it was when I switched to Roon music server over Logitech software.
    I Iove Roon, great interface, Tidal integration all that Jazz.
    To me its as good as it gets.
    BUT...

My Logitech Transporter has 2 very groovy displays which when running LMS I had set up to track information, time remaining etc.
    With Roon they cant be used other than a basic level meter, so I switch displays off.
    What I REALLY miss though is these:

Sad wee hifi things that make you smile?
    Next release of Roon (1.3) will use tbe screens for all the track info, and more importantly the VU meters.

Told you it was sad, but hey...all part of the experience, right?
    Am I the only sad bugger who likes the daft things like this?

Whats yours?

I'm Lawrence.

Reminds me of my Accuphase E302 I miss those meters. And the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

volume controls that light up and rotate when you change volume using the remote control

I used to have a big Rotel that did that but no-one seems to do them anymore.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm stuart.

I didn't realise you get get Roon to control a Transporter - is it really worth $500?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    I didn't realise you get get Roon to control a Transporter - is it really worth $500?
    To me, without a doubt.

Easy to say 'its just software', especially given free players like Foobar and even LMS for Squeezebox that does the same thing on paper and plays your music, I get that...but given all the additional functionality Roon has, its User Experience and how good it sounds its so much more.
    Its the best sounding server software I've heard, noticably better than LMS 7.9 and when my Trial ran out I debated spending money for something on paper I already had, but the sound quality won out.

Everyone has their own take on what works for them of course, but for me how you access your music collection, the actual experience of exploring and enjoying it is a very important part of a digital audio setup too?
    Roon is to me the best in this business by a country mile, and thats coming from an ex Jriver guy and someone using LMS with Ipeng on the Ipad as a controller.
    Ipeng controlling LMS was fantastic, but it doesn't come near what Roon does.

For me its as good as this very important part of the audiophile experience gets.
    Nowadays I want stuff that 'just works', and Roon is just that.

Softwares constantly being developed, its here for keeps and worth every penny.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 07-01-2017 at 10:02.

I'm Nathan.

Gear that doesn't require a remote control to do anything.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Tim.

My hobby since a teen is music. The crate digging for original records to discover and collect came very quickly after. My expenses input in phono systems came later with time, financial abilities and the desire to play my records with justice in sound. I still can be very "anthropological" with my records as to pay attention to any detail on a record from the matrix to a credited name change from one issue to another that might tell a story behind the pressing variations. Even most other collectors find that rather pointless. Not "wee sad" me ! I find there is more to music than sound...
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Martin.

Rocker switches that have LEDs embedded in them. That's pure class.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Rocker switches that have LEDs embedded in them. That's pure class.
    Ah yes. My Exposure amps have those. Handy to check if you've left them switched on by mistake too.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Ah yes. My Exposure amps have those. .
    Lucky!
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast