+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tidal now streaming MQA!

I'm Grant.

with all great grandparents present?
    Regards,
    Grant

IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2 & I.SABRE DAC running MOODE 2.7-CHROMECAST2 AUDIO x2. - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1. - PIONEER 717 & MODDED MF X10v3. - PROART AMP/BERESFORD TC-7240 SWITCHBOX. - WIN10 JRIVER21, AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC & CHROMECAST AUDIO DONGLE, POWERED BY LINEAR AND BATTERY PSU's - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - CARTS.. AT95S, SHURE M55E, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Justin.

There's a trick there... you'd need to score 90%. So I'll say 80% or more, using tracks I have determined to be derived from the same master i.e. ones I can tell no difference between.
    Conned through life.

I'm Martin.

Is this another one of those scams where they re-master and then pretend the improvements are due to the format? From what I have read so far that seems to be the case. They claim some sort of 'timing' improvement but even if this is actually something more than marketing bollox it is fixing a non-existent problem. I've no objections to better re-mastering but why can't they just be honest about it?
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Sony SCD XB790 QS * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    ..... using my pretty capable system.

Anyone up for it? I didn't think so LOL.
    I've not heard a more resolving system than yours, Justin.

If you can't hear a difference then I strongly suspect there isn't one.
    Jerry

Main systems:
    Spotify Premium and TIDAL hi-rez streaming, Xiang Sheng DAC-01A. Alternating amp setups: Little Bear P8 valve pre / Nobsound NS-02G power amp & Philips Black Tulip 270 pre / Philips 380 power amp. Speakers: MBL 116F. Atratus3 i/c & Western Electric 16GA spkr cables. Missing Link Cryo Ref and Nordost Magus power cables

Analog rig Turntable: Technics SL-150mk2 & AT-1010 arm, ADC XLM1 Integra / Linn Asak - VdH retip cartridges.

Headphones: B&O H6, PSB M4U-1,Beyerdynamic DT-150, B&O Form 2 & 2a B&O U70, and Sony XBA-H1 & SoundMagic E10 IEM headphones

2nd system: Pioneer DVD transport, Rotel RP-3000 tt / Goldring Eroica LX, SMSL Q5 Pro DAC/Pre-power amp, Klegg Symphony 102 speakers

I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

Not convinced personally by the MQA processing in itself, but these albums are being streamed in 24bit, not 16 as well as 48,96 or 192K samplerate.
    This is what I'm attributing the improvement in sound quality to.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 08-01-2017 at 21:13.
    Say it loud...say it clear...for the whole damn world to hear.

I'm Justin.

I will have a bit more of a scout around as I have only tried one track in depth. That's hardly a fair assessment.

My expectation bias is angled the wrong way i.e. not in favour of MQA and I kind of agree with Macca at the mo.
    Conned through life.

I'm Mike.

I am actually inclined to say Tidal MQA streams improves quite ovbviously on their 16/44.1 counterpart. But i will record some samples through a good AD-converter and then make these available for scrutinizing by you good fellow audiophiles.
    I'll even include some LP needle drops from original and remastered versions!
    Too bad i havent got a competitive MQA enabled DAC to compare with too...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Not convinced personally by the MQA processing in itself, but these albums are being streamed in 24bit, not 16 as well as 48,96 or 192K samplerate.
    This is what I'm attributing the improvement in sound quality to.
    Higher sampling would only offer an almost imperceptible difference, and can offer none whatsoever on recordings made in analogue or 16/44. Bitrate only effects dynamic range and 16 bits is overkill already. People are reporting dramatic improvements over ripped cd versions so to me that can only mean remastering of some type. Maybe some sort of complex EQ algorithm that 'spices it all up' from a psycho-acoustic angle? Similar to the way they EQ classic tracks to have more punch on film soundtracks, only this is a one size fits all deal.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Sony SCD XB790 QS * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Higher sampling would only offer an almost imperceptible difference, and can offer none whatsoever on recordings made in analogue or 16/44. Bitrate only effects dynamic range and 16 bits is overkill already. People are reporting dramatic improvements over ripped cd versions so to me that can only mean remastering of some type. Maybe some sort of complex EQ algorithm that 'spices it all up' from a psycho-acoustic angle? Similar to the way they EQ classic tracks to have more punch on film soundtracks, only this is a one size fits all deal.
    Hmnn...can be a bit of a moot point that, but hear what your saying Martin.

I still prefer ripped CD to 16/44 Tidal Flac, but the 24bit MQA versions sound slightly better to me.
    Interestingly, non streamed 24-bit versions of the same album on my hard drive sound better than the MQA versions to my ears.
    Lots of variables to get a handle on really and make a definitive judgment I guess, especially given all the different systems and setups everyone has.
    Say it loud...say it clear...for the whole damn world to hear.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hmnn...can be a bit of a moot point that, but hear what your saying Martin.

I still prefer ripped CD to 16/44 Tidal Flac, but the 24bit MQA versions sound slightly better to me.
    Interestingly, non streamed 24-bit versions of the same album on my hard drive sound better than the MQA versions to my ears.
    Lots of variables to get a handle on really and make a definitive judgment I guess, especially given all the different systems and setups everyone has.
    Yeah I am sceptical especially when it involves old recordings like Space Oddity or Astral Weeks. If you've got a Cd from the first gen master you have got the master. There's nothing missing. So when people are saying the MQA version is clearly 'better' it has me asking questions. I mean, a recording is not complex data, it is a simple waveform, there is only so much there you can 'reveal'. So I think it is possible that MQA is just a sophisticated graphic equaliser.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast