+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tidal now streaming MQA!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yeah I am sceptical especially when it involves old recordings like Space Oddity or Astral Weeks. If you've got a Cd from the first gen master you have got the master. There's nothing missing. So when people are saying the MQA version is clearly 'better' it has me asking questions. I mean, a recording is not complex data, it is a simple waveform, there is only so much there you can 'reveal'. So I think it is possible that MQA is just a sophisticated graphic equaliser.
    All good til the graphic equaliser bit? What do you mean?

I'm Martin.

I'm theorising that MQA adds some sort of sophisticated EQ to the sound. So they didn't sit down and painstakingly remaster 600 albums, they just run them through MQA and they are equalised to sound 'better' when decoded via MQA.

Thing is that isn't technically the original recording. But then I suppose you could argue that any re-master isn't either. But I sort of draw a personal line at 'jazzing up' the sound. If that is what MQA does, I'm speculating here obviously.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Deano.

Hmmm interesting, i thought that they have the masters and just compress them using the MQA algorithm, but i really am not sure,

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

One of the claims is that with the old recordings, if they know which specific analogue to digital converter was used to make the digital master, they can correct for its deficiencies and this improves sound quality. But I've not read any proper explanation of how that works. There isn't one on the MQA video, old Bob basically says two things, it is a smaller file but it is still 'hi rez', no mention of the ADC thing.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Some info on the MQA format here:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...rmat-explained

Linked if for no other reason it has the phrase "audio beardies who only buy music from studio master portals that basically only sell jazz albums" in it.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Deano.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

Linked if for no other reason it has the phrase "audio beardies who only buy music from studio master portals that basically only sell jazz albums" in it.
    Ok well that didnt explain anything we dont already know, hopefully someone can explain if the masters are actully the original studio recording masters being reformatted to a data transferable package, or is the MQA software adjusting eq and repackaging?

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

LOL quick everyone, shave your beards off, delete your jazz downloads and we'll do a class action lawsuit.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

not sure how you can hear any difference without the dac software installed. say it will just come out at 16 44 if you dont have it.?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

No, it decodes in the pc application. There is an option to decode it in the DAC instead, Doesn't seem clear as to whether one way is better than the other, you need an MQA ready DAC of course.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not sure how you can hear any difference without the dac software installed. say it will just come out at 16 44 if you dont have it.?
    Will be 24bit Grant, so will be "improved" even if the MQA processing doesn't kick in on normal dac.
    Plays fine on my non MQA Young Dac through Roon, shows as 24/48 or whatever the higher rate of the track is.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast