+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 90

Thread: DIY RCA cables - pure silver vs silver coated copper

  1. #21
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 1,151
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Utter rubbish! Obviously written in the hope that no one with any knowledge of electricity reads it!! The barefaced lies from some in the industry are beyond a joke....
    Educate us Jez, why does silver sound brighter than copper?

    It definitely does, I've tried it but don't know why it does.

    Does a thicker cable do a better job than thin cable ???

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mission 774 OG > Toshiba SR 370 > Acutex 410e > NAD 312 Amp > Celestion DL6 Speakers

  2. #22
    Join Date: Dec 2015

    Location: Alicante. Spain.

    Posts: 283
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    So, all capacitors sound the same, all SUTs sound the same, all resistors sound the same, all variants of copper sounds the same, in fact everything - all black vinyl too - that's great news - now I can stop spending money on pointless upgrades or paying electricians to put in dedicated lines. Yippeee the earth is flat!

    Adey

    Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Join Date: Mar 2012

    Location: Gloucestershire

    Posts: 3,861
    I'm Paul.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Please provide the evidence that explains why we cry or feel uplifted by a piece if music....

    Adey

    Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    What has that got to do with passing off pseudo-babble science about signal propagation as truth? "Nothing whatsoever" is the answer

    Let's just take one example from the fairy tale explanation on offer, about metal junctions in wires (ie between copper and silver plating) acting in a "diodic" way. This implies that the junction behaves as a diode, passing current in one direction and not the other. That is utter nonsense. Jez knows it, I know it, and all other audio engineers know it. We deal in facts, not fairy tales. However, we are singing from the same hymn book as yourself. We want music to trigger an emotional response, so how we go about designing and making things is geared around doing just that. We're not looking for cable wars, we're trying to add perspective. The trade guys on here are all pretty much good guys, and believe it or not, we do try our best to look out for other AoS members. There's a healthy balance of opinion on AoS which makes it a pleasant Hifi forum to visit, but there's also a wealth of knowledge on tap, and for anyone who wants it, a wealth of guidance available. All we're saying is beware pseudo science like that above. Like all "good" pseudo science, there are aspects of truth in some of what is said, but usually taken so far out of context that it is in Jez's own words "a joke" that some respected characters in audio are still pushing this stuff purely for marketing purposes.

  4. #24
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: NE England

    Posts: 3,185
    I'm Jez.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Educate us Jez, why does silver sound brighter than copper?

    It definitely does, I've tried it but don't know why it does.

    Does a thicker cable do a better job than thin cable ???

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I can't be arsed.... If some were told that smearing their cables with butter would make for a smoother sound there would be grease marks on the carpet up and down the country....

    Maybe you lot should try putting your interconnects in a pyramid overnight....

    I'm outa here....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

    Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

  5. #25
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: NE England

    Posts: 3,185
    I'm Jez.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    What has that got to do with passing off pseudo-babble science about signal propagation as truth? "Nothing whatsoever" is the answer

    Let's just take one example from the fairy tale explanation on offer, about metal junctions in wires (ie between copper and silver plating) acting in a "diodic" way. This implies that the junction behaves as a diode, passing current in one direction and not the other. That is utter nonsense. Jez knows it, I know it, and all other audio engineers know it. We deal in facts, not fairy tales. However, we are singing from the same hymn book as yourself. We want music to trigger an emotional response, so how we go about designing and making things is geared around doing just that. We're not looking for cable wars, we're trying to add perspective. The trade guys on here are all pretty much good guys, and believe it or not, we do try our best to look out for other AoS members. There's a healthy balance of opinion on AoS which makes it a pleasant Hifi forum to visit, but there's also a wealth of knowledge on tap, and for anyone who wants it, a wealth of guidance available. All we're saying is beware pseudo science like that above. Like all "good" pseudo science, there are aspects of truth in some of what is said, but usually taken so far out of context that it is in Jez's own words "a joke" that some respected characters in audio are still pushing this stuff purely for marketing purposes.
    I'm afraid that too many in hi fi "learn" their "engineering" from journalists, snake oil merchants etc and simply don't want to hear from any body who actually knows what they are talking about... We're wasting our time Paul.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

    Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

  6. #26
    Join Date: Dec 2015

    Location: Alicante. Spain.

    Posts: 283
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    My point was that everyone responds differently to what we hear and there is no scientific evidence as to why.

    Yes a neutron is a neutron - big deal - but how it behaves is another story depending on the conditions.

    H2o is water - but it comes in many flavours depending on adulterants - the same goes for metals, or do you include lead in your cables?

    I appreciate that what you've learnt was written by others and propagated at college - but that doesn't make it the LAW. Thats your argument about psuedo science but it applies equally to your own propaganda.

    Ask a metallurgist about how metals change when treated, annealed, mixed etc and they might have a different opinion. You're speaking about a metals ability to conduct an electrical current - but again a capacitor is made up of 2 metal plates that create capacitance - obviously cables can behave the same - hence the Isolda effect.

    I don't believe in snake oil. I dont believe in hype. But I do believe my system and my ears. My isoldas cost a packet and came with a no quibble refund policy - but they are staying because in comparison to the previous cables they are a major leap in clarity and extension.

    According to your theory this is my imagination. That is utter rubbish.

    Adey



    Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Join Date: Jun 2015

    Location: London, UK

    Posts: 374
    I'm Lawrence.

    Default

    I'm totally agnostic on this I've owned several normal price cables from QED Qnect to Silver spiral via Cambridge studio reference. The latter was my favourite and I saw no reason to change until I saw the thread offering some litz style braided silver interconnects cheap, i stuck them in and never felt the urge to even compare to anything else I owned they were just "fine". Maybe I'll start doing some comparisons against my old cables and the new silver plated once I've made them up.

    I'd be interested to know if the 3/m was for braided or single wire.

    Anyway can anyone recommend any good value RCA plugs?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 1,151
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'm totally agnostic on this I've owned several normal price cables from QED Qnect to Silver spiral via Cambridge studio reference. The latter was my favourite and I saw no reason to change until I saw the thread offering some litz style braided silver interconnects cheap, i stuck them in and never felt the urge to even compare to anything else I owned they were just "fine". Maybe I'll start doing some comparisons against my old cables and the new silver plated once I've made them up.

    I'd be interested to know if the 3/m was for braided or single wire.

    Anyway can anyone recommend any good value RCA plugs?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MS Audio RCA's on eBay are very good IMO.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mission 774 OG > Toshiba SR 370 > Acutex 410e > NAD 312 Amp > Celestion DL6 Speakers

  9. #29
    Join Date: Oct 2016

    Location: Bolton, England

    Posts: 142
    I'm Andrew.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    -Does it have some of the beneficial properties of pure silver cable?

    -It has a thin plastic coating round the strands, does the litz weave make up for the lack of thick shielding?
    1) What are the beneficial properties of pure silver? The only benefit of which I'm aware is lower resistance. However, the difference is only about 5% (conductor diameter and length assumed equal) and the resistance of a 1m interconnect is already vanishingly small.

    2) What would be the benefit of thick shielding over thin shielding? Thick shielding between strands would keep the strands farther apart but I'm not sure what benefit that would have.

  10. #30
    Join Date: Oct 2016

    Location: Bolton, England

    Posts: 142
    I'm Andrew.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    According to your theory this is my imagination. That is utter rubbish.
    I watched Derren Brown on the TV recently. It was amazing. He's always amazing. If anyone ever doubts just how powerful the imagination can be they should watch one of his shows.
    BTW, that doesn't mean I think the effects produced by the imagination aren't "real" - it means I think all our perceptions are filtered and processed by our minds and our imaginations, so trying to discriminate between "real" and "imagined" benefits is not a trivial task at all. It may even be pointless to try.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •