+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphones open or closed back

I'm Paul.

Default Headphones open or closed back

Hi all

Hope this is the correct section for this question

Just moved to a new home and playing music through speakers is not going to be an option, so will be looking into getting some decent headphones.

First question

From an audio listening point of view which is better Open or Closed Back.

Any recommendations for some that would not break the bank, say £150 max

Thanks for any input on this

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Grant.

opens leak a lot of sound usually... both ways so if thats an issue the closed might be the option. Funny but after some research i just bought a pair of closedback Audio Technicas for listening. I am very happy with them.. ath msr7. great build and sound for the money imv
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mark.

It's a personal choice and headphones are a slippery slope to more expense as great headphones are spendy.

Closed back will also help stop sound leaking in, with open back if there is some other noise such as a loud TV or hoovering you will probably hear it especially on the quiet parts of music.

Ideally noise cancelling that sounds good would be ideal to escape into your own world of music.

I'm martin.

I use open back when I just want to listen alone late at night, no one to annoy with the leaking sound and I have a closed back pair for when she's watching shit on the telly so I don't disturb her. Both pairs are comfy and sound fine to me.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Sean.

can't say I've tested many headphones but I have these for years which I like and at £17.50 they definitely won't break the bank!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-P.../dp/B007SP2CO2

They are closed back, I do also have some Goldring DR100 open back and I find the sound good but they are less versatile and need quiet background noise. We encourage my son to use them when gaming as he tends to shout less with the open back.

I'm Mike.

I would definently look into a set of Philips Fidelio X2 with that budget. They work just fine with smartphones and tablets but will compete with cans ten times their price when driven by a proper head amp. (Schiit Jotunheim e.t.c.)
    Cheers
    Mike

I'm Rob.

For your budget, I'd recommend AKG 701. At £120ish (e.g. on amazon) they are an end of line steal. I paid almost twice that much a couple of ears ago and thought I had a bargain.

They are open backed. Here is a review.

Rob.