+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help required with recognising a DC power socket type

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Lawrence.

Default Help required with recognising a DC power socket type

I've bought an Arcaydis interface buffer and it works very nicely with my class D power amp but I'm thinking about upgrading the PSU. The thing is I don't know where to get a plug from it's a screw in type as shown here does anyone know what it's actually called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

They are not proprietary as this seems to use the same ones

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=271930160647

I'm Ralph.

You can buy those from Maplin.
    Ralph.

I'm Ian.

It looks like the same plug use for communications microphones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/13080...6760769&crdt=0
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks the metal case looks the same but it seems to have 4 holes in the female whereas mine has 2

I'm Lawrence.

Here's another question related to using a buffer. If a passive pre has a higher impedance than the input impedance of the power amp, is there a risk the resistors will get hot or be overdriven ? Presumably one reason it is not a good match is that a lot of the energy is being wasted in the passive and not getting to the power amp?

I'm Chris.

The answer is they are a Marushin plug, and although not pictured match with a corresponding socket.
    http://www.skt.cz/marushin/pdf/m-cn.pdf

Available in many variety of pin numbers, they are are useful connector, although not strictly a DC connector
    but can be assigned for that purpose, as long as polarity is matched. A precaution is to use a diode either
    in series anode In to Cathode out in the DC circuitry , or a diode in a shunt configuration, to protect
    against incorrect polarity or circumstance where polarity is not obvious. Even my my soldering iron has one

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Here's another question related to using a buffer. If a passive pre has a higher impedance than the input impedance of the power amp, is there a risk the resistors will get hot or be overdriven ? Presumably one reason it is not a good match is that a lot of the energy is being wasted in the passive and not getting to the power amp?

Most passive pre's are defined as an L Pad, although other Pad types are sometimes used, they are less common.
    a properly designed L pad then has a series resistance and a shunt resistance. They are an attenuator.
    Your assertion they are wasting power is somewhat false as- attenuators are needed pieces of circuitry.
    You are seeing problems which are not there.

No, resistors will not get hot or be overdriven. A sensible designer allows for Ohms law and predicts current expended
    which in the case of passive pre's is tiny, so very small wattage resistors in 99% of cases are quite OK to use.

With Light Dependent Resistors the mechanical wiping of one contact on another passing
    audio signals is removed entirely, rather just light emission in an encapsulated space causes variance in resistance
    hence are a far better and clever device for audio.

I'm Grant.

They are used on back of Chinese psu s. As well mine has 2 of the 2 pin ones as dc outs
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Most passive pre's are defined as an L Pad, although other Pad types are sometimes used, they are less common.
    a properly designed L pad then has a series resistance and a shunt resistance. They are an attenuator.
    Your assertion they are wasting power is somewhat false as- attenuators are needed pieces of circuitry.
    You are seeing problems which are not there.

No, resistors will not get hot or be overdriven. A sensible designer allows for Ohms law and predicts current expended
    which in the case of passive pre's is tiny, so very small wattage resistors in 99% of cases are quite OK to use.

With Light Dependent Resistors the mechanical wiping of one contact on another passing
    audio signals is removed entirely, rather just light emission in an encapsulated space causes variance in resistance
    hence are a far better and clever device for audio.
    Thanks for that in my case I'm using an original style tisbury passive pre which I didn't know has a shunt resistor. Hopefully I've got nothing to worry about anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast