+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted Wharfedale Dovedale 3 Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    no boot sale tomorrow as im skint now
    Damn. That's a shame. I was just going to offer you a mint pair of Tannoy Lancasters for £30 (not)!

How about a shot with the grilles off?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Damn. That's a shame. I was just going to offer you a mint pair of Tannoy Lancasters for £30 (not)!

How about a shot with the grilles off?
    Hi Geoff

Go on then i will take them....the camera is full at present so cant get any more pictures on their -

I have discovered that these have the early green bass units which are know for causing trouble with going hard and brittle - How do i check for this how should they feel if normal should their be movement in the cone also? Any thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by dantheman91; 03-06-2017 at 17:31.
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Front Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Rear Satellite Loudspeakers
    Wharfedale DX 1

I'm Geoff.

Being a sealed cabinet with a big bass diaphragm, there should be a far bit of resistance if you push gently on the cones. I'd ignore any scare stories about these. I've known a few people who had them for years and no bother. The only thing to watch is blowing the tweeter by giving the speakers too much wellie. But you'd have to be going silly to do that. They go plenty loud enough!

It might pay to rotate the bass drivers 180 degrees to offset any suspension sag though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Being a sealed cabinet with a big bass diaphragm, there should be a far bit of resistance if you push gently on the cones. I'd ignore any scare stories about these. I've known a few people who had them for years and no bother. The only thing to watch is blowing the tweeter by giving the speakers too much wellie. But you'd have to be going silly to do that. They go plenty loud enough!

It might pay to rotate the bass drivers 180 degrees to offset any suspension sag though.
    Hi Geoff

Yes their their good to go i Wont be blasting them too loud as with most of my gear all used between 2 and 4 on the amp thanks for the advice re rotation too. PS re the Tannoys - My mum picked up a pair of IIILZ's from Poole stadium for £3 in 2010... not sure you can beat that those were the days sadly gone not out of stupidity....
    Pre & Power
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Front Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Wharfedale DX 1

I'm Taz.

They look to be in fairly good condition for their age. I've got a few pairs of one owner from new speakers and they usually be well looked after. I would do as Geoff recommends with the driver and leave the cabs as they are, adds to their character imo.

I'm Geoff.

Your mum did well there! Hope she's still got them. The Japs are paying fortunes for them now.

Paid £66 a pair for my first two sets of brand new IIILZ's. But that was around 1972!

My current and now immaculate Cheviot II speakers were £500 nearly five years ago and I spent about £100 refurbishing them and bunging new surrounds on. They were a fair bargain nonetheless. Worth maybe twice that now. God, they sound gorgeous!!

I'm Dan.

Lovely Geoff....Still got hopes for the ones local he said if no bids we can work an arrangement out for buying them

PS back to the wharfedales - I really need some decent stands for them any suggestions - Could they be used on their sides pondering with the idea their at ear level with my normal ones? ive eyed up some target stands on ebay.. any thoughts - Im thinking of changing the room and just having these on for the time being.. They love Technics power - The musical fidelity is is fine but the technics grips them more...any thoughts on this guys...the stands?
    Pre & Power
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Front Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Wharfedale DX 1

I'm Lawrence.

I've got 2 pairs of stands for larger speakers in the garage, haven't got round to listing them yet.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've got 2 pairs of stands for larger speakers in the garage, haven't got round to listing them yet.
    Maybe interested.
    Pre & Power
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Front Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Wharfedale DX 1

I'm Dan.

I have currently put them side ways on my current stands safe to say they sound much better they look very good to be honest i have taken a picture..

They are now sounding very nice clean with extended sound stage that was not present before the bass is also tighter just about to play some reggae 12'S . Notice the Sony STR 6046 has come home - the guy who bought it from me never used it so listed it at £20 what he payed me...happy to have it home i missed it.. gonna put in on the weekend...

I'm looking into recapping them and getting them upgraded people have done..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pre & Power
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Front Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Wharfedale DX 1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast