+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Suggestions Please

I'm John.

Default Upgrade Suggestions Please

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted as I've been enjoying my music system rather than thinking of changing anything. But I am now ready to consider upgrading and would like to hear your suggestions as to what I should be looking to improve. Some parts of my system are very old (tt and speakers) - but not necessarily the weak points I suspect, though I do wonder if recent technological advancements means these parts of the system are lagging behind in sound quality. I have up to £2k to spend, but any suggestions for improvements with a more modest outlay would also be appreciated. My initial thoughts are to change the speakers, and the ATC SM19s are beginning to tempt me! My local dealer has suggested the Roksan Blak amp, which is a little above my budget, and another dealer suggested upgrading the interconnects. I listen mainly to vinyl and cds, and occasionally to HD downloads played on a laptop through the rDAC.

My current systems consists of:

Turntable Thorens TD160 with Linn Basik arm and Nagaoka MP200 Cartridge
    Phono Stage Trichord Dino Mk3 (2016)
    CD Marantz CD6003
    DAC Arcam rDAC (2011)
    DAB Tuner Cambridge Audio Azur 650T
    Amp Roksan K2 (2015)
    Speakers Spendor SP1 (006230/1 1988)
    Speaker Cable Atlas Equator 2.0
    Inter-connects Atlas Element Integra

Thanks,

John
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Andy.

Have you considered buying used? You will inevitably get more for your money.

I'm Martin.

My thoughts for what they are worth

If you were going to upgrade the TT side then I'd get a better phono stage. It is shocking how much improvement that can make, more than changing the cartridge

Spendor to ATC will be a fairly big change in presentation, I would guess.

Avoid the dealer who suggested 'upgrading' the interconnects.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

The speakers would be the last thing I would change! Still one of my favourite speakers at any price after all these years...
    Arm and cartridge would be my suggestion, especially the cart. Many will I know disagree with me on this but IMHO MM carts are only suitable for mid fi and should be replaced by a decent MC if serious about vinyl. Some upgrades to the TT could be effective as well (new belt, internal damping etc).
    Good though the Dino is there are better phono stages available... such as the ones I make
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andrew.

Fwiw the cdp looks the weak point from here.

I'm Adrian.

My two penneth... Crap in - crap out. Start at the front end - moving from a mid price cart to a truly high end one brought about a greater evolution than going high end phono or arm for me, although I did upgrade the TT/Phonostage/Arm/Cart in that order.

Changing speakers has a big effect - but it depends what you're looking for - the cart and speakers are the only true transducers in a system - they both need to be right.

And sorry, but different cables can easily have as much of an affect on sound as changing amplifier - but get the rest of the equipment in the chain 98% right first.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Jez.

To confuse the op further I say cables have zero effect....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Adrian.

Ok I'm not getting into this one. To the OP - upgrade your system to a point where inductance, capacitance, resistance, insulation of cables makes a clearly audible difference then experiment with cables.
    Adey

Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    To confuse the op further I say cables have zero effect....
    ...unless the cables are engineered to have super high capacitance, and the amp can't handle it.

IMHO I would just go for some Van Damme HiFi UP-LCOFC, 2.5mm, and be done with it. This cable just disappears with no LCR weirdness and has super low grain boundaries, something a bit more esoteric, but worthwhile to look into. There is no current scientific reason as to why this impacts sound, but then I think our current knowledge in general scratches the surface of what is out there.

Don't worry though dark matter cables are forthcoming.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Ok I'm not getting into this one. To the OP - upgrade your system to a point where inductance, capacitance, resistance, insulation of cables makes a clearly audible difference then experiment with cables.
    Adey

In principle I agree. Cables are just the icing on the cake and not a means to significantly change the sound unless deliberately engineered to.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast