+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SUT shielding

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    You seem to be mistaking electromagnetic field and magnetic field....
    Quoted from Wikipedia:
    Faraday cages cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree, though, they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation. For example, certain computer forensic test procedures of electronic systems that require an environment free of electromagnetic interference can be carried out within a screened room. These rooms are spaces that are completely enclosed by one or more layers of a fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. The metal layers are grounded to dissipate any electric currents generated from external or internal electromagnetic fields, and thus they block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Quoted from Wikipedia:
    Faraday cages cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree, though, they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation. For example, certain computer forensic test procedures of electronic systems that require an environment free of electromagnetic interference can be carried out within a screened room. These rooms are spaces that are completely enclosed by one or more layers of a fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. The metal layers are grounded to dissipate any electric currents generated from external or internal electromagnetic fields, and thus they block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference
    I stand by what I said

For proper screening against mains hum a SUT really needs mumetal or permalloy. Expensive stuff but not to the extent to double or more the price of a SUT!
    Last edited by Arkless Electronics; 10-01-2017 at 17:57.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    The only reason I'm considering a SUT is for exact impedance matching of the shilabe with my Vida - the Vidas high setting is 100ohms but following the general rule of thumb of x10 means the shilabe should see 160ohms, though some folks prefer higher. I wish the Vida offered a higher setting as it's performance is astonishing as is the noise floor.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    A head amplifier is far more flexible in terms of matching input resistance than a SUT, a Brucey bonus advantage there.... You can literally set it to any figure with no problems with a head amp. Careful with that "x10 rule of thumb" when it's cartridge matching we're talking about... it works reasonable if we were, for example, looking at what minimum value of pre amp input impedance should a phono stage with an output resistance of 100R look into. Although rather on the low side 1000R would work. With cartridge matching there is usually no particular appropriate value and one should just choose what sounds best.... Things are of course complicated by using a SUT as to minimise ringing and overshoot and maintain a flat response the SUT itself is fussy about loading... at both ends.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Slav.

I stand by what I said

For proper screening against mains hum a SUT really needs mumetal or permalloy. Expensive stuff but not to the extent to double or more the price of a SUT!
    Please explain then
    You can't have a varying magnetic field without producing an electric field , third Maxwell equation says :a time change in a magnetic field produces an electric field, and the tendency of the electrical field to twist is proportional to the time rate of change of the magnetic field.

montesquieu Guest

A head amplifier is far more flexible in terms of matching input resistance than a SUT, a Brucey bonus advantage there.... You can literally set it to any figure with no problems with a head amp. Careful with that "x10 rule of thumb" when it's cartridge matching we're talking about... it works reasonable if we were, for example, looking at what minimum value of pre amp input impedance should a phono stage with an output resistance of 100R look into. Although rather on the low side 1000R would work. With cartridge matching there is usually no particular appropriate value and one should just choose what sounds best.... Things are of course complicated by using a SUT as to minimise ringing and overshoot and maintain a flat response the SUT itself is fussy about loading... at both ends.
    In theory Jez I'm with you on every point here and where someone is tearing their hair out over hum, I would always advise them to go active and be done with it. I've owned a couple of really good ones (Graham Slee Elevator and Denon HA-1000) either of which I would say are better than 90% of the SUTs out there and both of which (the Slee especially - and no doubt your own offering in this area as well) I'd be happy to live with.

BUT ... and for me this applies even to high end phono stages ... the best result from a musicality point of view in my experience is still a top of the range SUT ... in that I've been very lucky to own a Kondo era AN-S6c, Hashimoto HM-7s, a pair of Jorgen Shou transformers made for Ortofon SPUs, and the current transformers in my EAR 912. I don't know why this is, but even in a top-end stage like the Aurorasound Vida, the MC stage just isn't as good as the MM stage + top class SUT, I've seen this repeated time and time again where there are two gain options available.

Note that I'm not saying it's always better with MM input + any old SUT .. the opposite actually. SUTs have all the limitations you are talking about, and really good ones are rare and expensive ... but get it right and my experience is that it works better than trying to do it all with active gain.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    In theory Jez I'm with you on every point here and where someone is tearing their hair out over hum, I would always advise them to go active and be done with it. I've owned a couple of really good ones (Graham Slee Elevator and Denon HA-1000) either of which I would say are better than 90% of the SUTs out there and both of which (the Slee especially - and no doubt your own offering in this area as well) I'd be happy to live with.

BUT ... and for me this applies even to high end phono stages ... the best result from a musicality point of view in my experience is still a top of the range SUT ... in that I've been very lucky to own a Kondo era AN-S6c, Hashimoto HM-7s, a pair of Jorgen Shou transformers made for Ortofon SPUs, and the current transformers in my EAR 912. I don't know why this is, but even in a top-end stage like the Aurorasound Vida, the MC stage just isn't as good as the MM stage + top class SUT, I've seen this repeated time and time again where there are two gain options available.

Note that I'm not saying it's always better with MM input + any old SUT .. the opposite actually. SUTs have all the limitations you are talking about, and really good ones are rare and expensive ... but get it right and my experience is that it works better than trying to do it all with active gain.
    I'm kind of with you to an extent, on most of it anyway. Certainly I'd expect a decent head amp to beat all but the "good++" SUT's all day long...
    Where I differ is to just how good an active MC phono stage or head amp with good MM stage can get. I would say at least as good and often a bit better than the very best SUT's and, with the cost of a REALLY good SUT to add to that of a suitably good MM stage, often a fair bit cheaper. Of course all sorts of system synergy effects will come into play which can cloud the issue. The purchaser of the demo MkI head amp, "Alcarmicael" did I believe compare the Arkless head amp with the Hashimoto HM-7's when deciding which to buy and preferred the Arkless head amp by some margin, IIRC. I'm sure he will add his own ha'porth on that if he reads this

The forthcoming new Arkless Hybrid pre amp is MM in order that users can add their own SUT or head amp for MC use BTW. A later MC only version is intended as well but will cost considerably more.... but less than the MM version + a £1K SUT!

I'm planning on making another of the MKII version of the head amplifier for my own use and as a demo unit so when I get around tuit you're welcome to try it Tom. Maybe I can change your step up device preference

montesquieu Guest

I'm kind of with you to an extent, on most of it anyway. Certainly I'd expect a decent head amp to beat all but the "good++" SUT's all day long...
    Where I differ is to just how good an active MC phono stage or head amp with good MM stage can get. I would say at least as good and often a bit better than the very best SUT's and, with the cost of a REALLY good SUT to add to that of a suitably good MM stage, often a fair bit cheaper. Of course all sorts of system synergy effects will come into play which can cloud the issue. The purchaser of the demo MkI head amp, "Alcarmicael" did I believe compare the Arkless head amp with the Hashimoto HM-7's when deciding which to buy and preferred the Arkless head amp by some margin, IIRC. I'm sure he will add his own ha'porth on that if he reads this

The forthcoming new Arkless Hybrid pre amp is MM in order that users can add their own SUT or head amp for MC use BTW. A later MC only version is intended as well but will cost considerably more.... but less than the MM version + a £1K SUT!

I'm planning on making another of the MKII version of the head amplifier for my own use and as a demo unit so when I get around tuit you're welcome to try it Tom. Maybe I can change your step up device preference
    Would be delighted to check it out.

I'm Mike.

Just realised Adey is looking for a SUT to match the Shilabe with the VIDA (the end of the previous page)

From memory (Tom can confirm) the Shilabe did work OK with the VIDA, just the HM7s were a step up!
    StSt Motus DQ + SME 312 'MB Special'
    Transfix Axia / HM7
    Art Audio Vinyl 1 Ref
    Modified Mac Mini/Weiss DAC 202
    SJS Model 2
    BP P20 (SJS upgraded)
    Trenner and Friedl RA
    [/SIZE]

I'm Adrian.

Yup Tom did find that the shilabe worked fine with the Vida, but that the SUT (hashimotos) was better. I'm in no rush for the SUT - lol the shilabe isn't in the house yet - but I research and plan sometimes months ahead before spending my hard earned money on possible expensive mistakes, and I'll be happy to live with it direct into the Vida for a month or so.

I have great respect for Toms opinion on audio - and have followed a very similar path (though I'm keeping the Vida lol and he's changed for the Ear) but I trust that if he discerned an improvement (system differences not withstanding) then I think it's a future possibility and upgrade.

To be honest SUTs scare the crap out of me, I just don't understand them, all those numbers and step up ratios and possibilities for mismatch that even a few ohms too low or too high can make or break quality. Hence my interest in Slagle who can wind them specifically for the cart - Tribute no, though he can include dip switches (I hate switches).

The Miyajima SUT may actually be perfect for me but I need the Truth and interconnects in situ to know whether a slight softening (which according to Tom is a trait of the SUT) is acceptable or a no no. With my current interconnects and Slagle Autoformer Volume I wouldn't want any softening.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    To be honest SUTs scare the crap out of me, I just don't understand them, all those numbers and step up ratios and possibilities for mismatch that even a few ohms too low or too high can make or break quality.
    I think people get too worked-up about the idea of "matching" impedances where SUTs are concerned. It's different from power amp output transformers where there needs to be a match to the load for maximum power transfer. Certainly a 10 ohm cartridge doesn't need to see a 10 ohm load, and a 5 ohm cartridge doesn't need a different turns ratio from a 10 ohm cartridge. Personally I think I'd prefer to try something before I buy if possible, and that won't be possible if you get someone abroad to make something to order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123