View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 9.09%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 9.09%
  • 5/10

1 9.09%
  • 6/10

3 27.27%
  • 7/10

4 36.36%
  • 8/10

0 0%
  • 9/10

1 9.09%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club, January 2017: Bruford - 'One of a Kind'

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Should be worth another listen.
    Yeah, I did go back and finish it off, the snare was a bit more managable on my 'Castlesteins' in the conservatory (as opposed to on the PMCs in the studio, which are somewhat ruthless) nevertheless the aesthetic of the drum sound remained rather grating and the whole lot continued as it had started. Lovely synths, great late 70s 'golden age' recording with interesting (if a bit 'noodly' but it is Jazz Fusion) music and arrangements but not quite doing it for me.

I'll round it up from 5.5 and score it a 6

I'm Neil.

Thank you.
    Regards Neil

I'm Peter.

Well, anything with the late*, great Allan Holdsworth is clearly a 10/10 for me However, I do appreciate his musical vocabulary was not to most people's taste, to put it mildly. Jeff Berlin was considered one of the best bass-guitar players in the world when this was released, but some find him a bit needlessly busy. Dave Stewart was the main man in Hatfield and the North (whose album The Rotters Club was a brilliant bit of Canterbury 'prog'), and later a much under-rated band called National Health. So, a super-star line-up, but as always it depends if they have anything good to play ... and, my view is that they stray a bit too far into the 'show-off' jazz-rock of the day, so only gets a 7/10 in my book.

If you're more into the jazz elements here, then I strongly suggest you hear some of Bill's subsequent Earthworks releases. Certainly, the (mainly) acoustic line-up and the greater focus on the compositions make it a more interesting and varied listen. Bill's tasteful use of electronic percussion on the early releases is also a positive imo.

* http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...416-story.html
    Last edited by petrat; 12-05-2017 at 06:30. Reason: Holdsworth obituary

I'm Neil.

I didn't know Alan Holdsworth had died. Loved his style. RIP Alan
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123