View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 9.09%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 9.09%
  • 5/10

1 9.09%
  • 6/10

3 27.27%
  • 7/10

4 36.36%
  • 8/10

0 0%
  • 9/10

1 9.09%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, January 2017: Bruford - 'One of a Kind'

RothwellAudio Guest

I like Bill Bruford and I like Allan Holdsworth, but I don't think this is their best work. Still, it was quite a long time ago and I'm sure they would both agree that they have developed as musicians in the intervening years. Or maybe there's just a bit too much of the late 70s fusion vibe for my taste. Anyway, I don't love it - but I don't hate it either. Within the spectrum of music I like I'll rate it as a 6. In the wider context of music which includes the X Factor, shoe-gazers etc. that's equivalent to an 11

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Sorry Neil, this really isn't my cup of tea, i just didn't engage with the majority of the tracks really, there were a couple of tracks that peeked my interest a little, Five G and The Sahara of Snow part 2, but not enough to make me want to listen to it again.

It would be a boring world if we all agreed all of the time
    No worries Mike, and others I knew it would be a Marmite pick.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford.T Ward View Post
    An interesting listen which straight away reminded me of UK's first album. On first hearing it was pleasant enough and at times I was drawn into it , however I don't feel it was a stand out album ....Bill's a good drummer and the other musicians are good.....if I see a copy for the right price I would be tempted to buy it.
    Yes John, very similar vibe to UK's first album, which is I think why I like this album so much.

I get also why others don't like it, and yes Bruford and Holdsworth are much improved as musicians but considering this was late 70s and we are now 2017 I would like to think they have improved skill wise and re composition.
    Regards Neil

I'm John.

This is a great feature to have on a forum and puts TAOS well above many of the forums on the net ...congratulations to all those involved in it !

I'm PL.

Briefly i wrote a lengthy review which was then lost due to "token expiry" (Twice). Briefly, for me this is the best so far albeit understandably dated. I wouldn't listen to this much these days but in it's day very good. It scored an 8 with me.
    Thanks for the introduction to Bills "other work."
    Last edited by Pixelpopper; 10-01-2017 at 15:39. Reason: format error
    PL

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelpopper View Post
    Briefly i wrote a lengthy review which was then lost due to "token expiry" (Twice). Briefly, for me this is the best so far albeit understandably dated. I wouldn't listen to this much these days but in it's day very good. It scored an 8 with me.
    Thanks for the introduction to Bills "other work."
    You are most welcome Paul, glad you enjoyed it.

Make sure you tick the 'remember me' section at the top of the page, where you log in and eventually you won't time out.
    Regards Neil

I'm Richard.

Everything about this album makes my teeth itch. Sorry, this is about as far away from my cup of tea as you could get. I just about managed to get through it all, but I now need to go and sit in a dark room for the rest of the evening.
    Rich

I'm Marc.

I got about halfway through this album before getting distracted. The musicianship is absolutely top notch, I loved the synths, pianos and the complex arrangements but I couldn't get past the drum sound, especially the snare (but the kick and the ridiculous toms aren't great either).

Shame, as I got really excited during the first track, the drop is way cool - like prog meets parliament, but it didn't quite follow through. I may well give it another go to see if I can get over the snare sound and explore a bit further.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I got about halfway through this album before getting distracted. The musicianship is absolutely top notch, I loved the synths, pianos and the complex arrangements but I couldn't get past the drum sound, especially the snare (but the kick and the ridiculous toms aren't great either).

Shame, as I got really excited during the first track, the drop is way cool - like prog meets parliament, but it didn't quite follow through. I may well give it another go to see if I can get over the snare sound and explore a bit further.
    Should be worth another listen.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    Everything about this album makes my teeth itch. Sorry, this is about as far away from my cup of tea as you could get. I just about managed to get through it all, but I now need to go and sit in a dark room for the rest of the evening.
    No worries Rich, as I said earlier on its going to be a marmite album lol
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast