+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: QED uplay streamer,- under £20

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post

To jollyfix who asked whether Chromecasts (either TV or audio) can be used with Macs the answer is "yes", though might require the use of an updated Chrome browser. This may turn out to a be a pain, depending on which version of Mac OS X you're using, and perhaps "force" you to upgrade the OS - which you may not wish to do.

All the Chromecast models have inbuilt DACs. The audio model has an optical output which can be fed to an external DAC, but also has its own internal DAC and analogue output for driving a pre-amp or portable speakers.
    Thanks Dave.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Grant.

You could get your system to forget it, then reinstall it. After restarting router. Try having everything on you usually have on before you do. It should then give it a local ip that is not potentially gonna cause probs. Downloading the fing app on a mobile device is handy to tell you what is going on with ips. A quick reload after you switch things on(give it 10 secs) and you will see if any issues with double ips are happening as well.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Sean.

I have a QED Uplay, haven't used it in ages. I seem to recall that it wasn't that straightforward to set up in that I found I had to be next to the router to set up and I found the settings a bit fiddly but once set up it was good and the sound, to me, good in a small bedroom system. I used it with homeplugs and ethernet and streamed music from a NAS. I stopped using it because I couldn't get it to do gapless which I found frustrating. I now use a pi and Volumio which I find pretty good.

I'm Dave.

Grant

Thanks for IP suggestion. It seems odd that the TV version does seem to work OK - with occasional glitches, yet the audio model seems more fragile. Elsewhere I recommended Chromecast (TV) for another family member, who uses it with her TV, but also tried it in a bedroom where it didn't work too well, perhaps because of distance from the incoming router. However, also on my suggestion, she tried a Now TV, which works fine, to the extent that I bought a couple of those (one regular, and one with the Freeview tuners built in - bought when they were cheap) and they do seem good for TV - and they do solve the problem which was thrust upon us last September with the failure of some devices to keep up with BBC iPlayer due to system changes.

Re the uses of the audio devices - I was critical of using Bluetooth because of possible audio quality issues, yet if the sources are Spotify and other streaming sites that's probably not a big deal, as though SQ might be pretty low anyway. For some people convenience trumps quality.

I was looking for audio focused devices which will stream at least sources up to 20 bits/96 kHz to a DAC, and some claim to go up to 24/192 - and probably do.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

The Chromecast Audio drop out issue is not the same as the issue discussed in the following thread - https://productforums.google.com/for...st/3PiH_40qLBw but it may be related. It does seem that there have been problems with Chromecast Audio and BT routers. I'm not sure if these have actually been resolved yet - it looks as though it's taken a while over an extended period.

We have a BT router, and it could be that the CC Audio problems are related to that. I'll investigate further.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Ive a plusnet router but not had any trouble. Might have latest software on. They both updated as soon as i installed them. Been fine since.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Chromecast Audio worked fine recently, so could be an intermittent problem with the BT router.

Re the Belkin and other streamers, they have a big advantage in some situations, as they don't need the existence of any form of infrastructure LAN in order to work - no need for a router. This could be enormously useful for mobile situations. Better to have some thing that works "well enough" rather than a really high quality system which doesn't work at all for some scenarios.
    Dave

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Chromecast Audio worked fine recently, so could be an intermittent problem with the BT router.

Re the Belkin and other streamers, they have a big advantage in some situations, as they don't need the existence of any form of infrastructure LAN in order to work - no need for a router. This could be enormously useful for mobile situations. Better to have some thing that works "well enough" rather than a really high quality system which doesn't work at all for some scenarios.
    The Belkin is ridiculously easy to use. Plug it into mains, connect optical cable and then touch phone or tablet against device. NFC connects everything up using Belkin app. Anything that will play on phone or tablet then plays directly through streamer. Even though it is bluetooth I found the quality to be very good with services such as Spotify.

Geoff

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    The Belkin is ridiculously easy to use. Plug it into mains, connect optical cable and then touch phone or tablet against device. NFC connects everything up using Belkin app. Anything that will play on phone or tablet then plays directly through streamer. Even though it is bluetooth I found the quality to be very good with services such as Spotify.

Geoff
    I got one of these last year for £30...

http://www.qed.co.uk/wireless_blueto..._receiver.html

...I have it connected via optical to my MDAC.

Normally I listen to my LMS/SBTouch via the MDAC, but when my friends want to play me something from their phones this comes in really handy...and with an aptx compatible device it's not at all bad...but looses badly when compared to full fat wired (or wifi) SBtouch, unsurprisingly
    Last edited by WAD62; 26-01-2017 at 17:06.
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123