+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Single Mono Power Amp

I'm Mark.

Default Wanted - Single Mono Power Amp

Hi folks,
    Due to something of a calamity involving my Good Lady Wife, the stored location of my Townshend Glastonbury Tor speakers, and a long object she was carrying, one of the speakers now has a destroyed Bass/Mid driver - a severe dent in the spun aluminium cone, and a rubbing voice coil.
    So, I have decided to make the worlds best workshop/garage sound system (possibly!).
    I'm looking for a good, but cheap!, Mono Power Amp.

Anybody have anything to fit the bill??.

Cheers, Mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Or a cheap bridgeable stereo amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Mark.

I'm not sure how that works. Can you get amps the allow the outputs to be connected together?

I'm Mark.

What I'm really hoping for is that someone out there used to have a pair of really high end Mono amps, and one went bang, leaving them with a single amp in the loft that they don't use!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by M6NTL View Post
    I'm not sure how that works. Can you get amps the allow the outputs to be connected together?

You do, yes. My monos are stereo power amps with vc. A button on back turns them mono. Very good for money they were and i have 4, although 1 is out of commission awaiting a looksee when i can be bothered. Plenty pro amps around that can be run mono and are very good, certainly for a garage system
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Default Wanted - Single Mono Power Amp

My experience with the Glastonburys is that you need a whopping great lump of solid state power to get the best out of them so a bridged stereo amp might well be a good move.

I'm Lawrence.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-MA50....c100408.m2460

I'm Lawrence.

Don't know why my copy link function has to be so long... Anyway, are these the £20k version? Surely there must be a way to get a spare driver for them Max is still around you could ask him.

I'm Mark.

Thanks. I drove them with my Grant G50A Valve Power Amp.
    But, they will likely stay in storage forever if I don't use one in my garage (my circumstances have changed a lot, and I don't have my HiFi set up at home anymore - I have loaned out my Townshend Rock TT, my Musical Fidelity Phono Stage, my Conrad Johnson PV4 Preamp etc etc)...

I'm Lawrence.

If it was me I'd get them repaired and sell them on so someone else could use them instead of me but if you're attached to them I can understand. I held on to a pair of Kef Ref model 3s for a year after I could last use them. Using one mono seems to be a suboptimal use of a great pair of speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast