+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio Note Video- Pointless Comparison!

I'm Shane.

I agree, that a system should be both enjoyable and musical!

But as always, each to their own.

S.

I'm Neil.

That's a pretty typical AV Showrooms video, show report, equipment review.

I think that particular musician was playing in the Audio Note rooms at various shows and AV Showrooms use his (among others) music to review gear. They have a copyright agreement with a couple of musicians who permit their music to be played and they get publicity in return - thus AVS avoid having videos pulled off You tube.

Frankly I am sick of hearing this choice in their videos, to the point now I watch for a minute then fast forward through or move on to the next video.

Peter is an acquired taste too as a presenter, bit like Marmite.

No audio system can reproduce a musical instrument fully, but assuming the recording was a good one, hearing the musician live before does give insights into some aspects of things, so not a total waste of time.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

The aim of hi-fi is to accurately reproduce the recording of the instrument, not the instrument. A subtle but important difference.

As for Audionote it is one of my favourite of the crazy money brands in that it is always sweet and pleasant to listen to. The 'speakers in the corners' thing is just wrong, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The aim of hi-fi is to accurately reproduce the recording of the instrument, not the instrument. A subtle but important difference.

As for Audionote it is one of my favourite of the crazy money brands in that it is always sweet and pleasant to listen to. The 'speakers in the corners' thing is just wrong, though.

Yes, aren't we all are aware of that

I absolutely detest this. When people say, ''my system can reproduce the feeling/experience, as if the bloody band are vividly performing in front me'', or ''playing in my room'' etc. Another one I can't stand is, ''sitting in the mixing room with the engineer''.... What a load of nonsense!

But I do accept that we all perceive things differently.

In my opinion a Hi-Fi system. Is just a slightly more sophisticated version of a midi system. Nothing more, or less.

Edit: It's also the rip-off prices that makes me cringe!!

S.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Yes, aren't we all are aware of that

Well no, I don't think so. Which is why you get people as you have described who claim 'my benchmark for hi fi is live music.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

I think that expecting recorded/reproduced music to sound like a live performance is simply asking too much - no matter what the system is or what it costs. It is only ever going to create an approximation of the "real" musical sound. But, subconsciously I suppose, we suspend our disbelief and enjoy it for what it is - a musical event in its own right. And very enjoyable it is too, if we have managed to assemble a playback system that makes the sort of sound we like. It's a bit like going to the theatre: you know that you are not watching real characters living out actual and true events on stage. It's an illusion, but one that we willingly consent to participate in. And no harm in that, because good theatre can be a very enriching artistic experience, even though it is not "real". And so can listening to recorded music.
    IB.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    I think that expecting recorded/reproduced music to sound like a live performance is simply asking too much - no matter what the system is or what it costs. It is only ever going to create an approximation of the "real" musical sound. But, subconsciously I suppose, we suspend our disbelief and enjoy it for what it is - a musical event in its own right. And very enjoyable it is too, if we have managed to assemble a playback system that makes the sort of sound we like. It's a bit like going to the theatre: you know that you are not watching real characters living out actual and true events on stage. It's an illusion, but one that we willingly consent to participate in. And no harm in that, because good theatre can be a very enriching artistic experience, even though it is not "real". And so can listening to recorded music.
    IB.

Decent post, Gary. Yes, I agree!

S.

I'm Jez.

I was present at one of the B&W live V recorded demos in the early 80's where they had an employee name of George Hooley play the clarinet between the speakers and then they would switch over to a R2R recording of the same bloke playing the same clarinet at random points in the demo. It was most impressive. Out of a room of about 25 people there was only myself and 3 others who claimed to be able to tell the difference between live and recorded.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Gary.

That's worrying. There's no way I could be fooled by my system into thinking there was eg. a string quartet in the next room. Maybe it's nowhere near as capable a setup as I like to imagine. Whatever - I'm not starting again!

Thinking about it, it is probably no co-incidence that these real vs recording comparisons are done with a single instrument (aside from the difficulty of cramming an 8-piece ensemble into a demonstration room). It is in fact believable that a good system could make a decent fist out of replicating the sound of a single instrument. Imagine a solitary acoustic guitar, or indeed a clarinet. With nothing else to disturb the acoustic and the musical presentation, I can believe that might come across very well. What would more difficult, though, would be to keep up the standard of the deception as you add more and more instruments and/or voices. It is hard to imagine any system recreating a genuinely convincing sound of the Duke Ellington Orchestra, Loose Tubes, or a Mahler symphony. Maybe it is simply "scale" that a system, no matter how good, would never get right. That, plus the incremental complexity of layering instruments and harmonies and textures on top of each other without them becoming a sort of homogenous wall of sound. I know hi-fi critics and reviewers all talk about that being what good systems can do, but only up to a point, surely? With large scale music, I'm always aware that I'm listening to a facsimile.

Am I on my own here ...?
    IB.

I'm Grant.

Not sure I want a string quartet in me room with me anyway. Thats why Ive got the stereo. Ive heard a few recordings that have come very close with say a solo player/singer with calm backing and felt them in room but only occasionally
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast