+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Tuners ... are they all pretty much the same ?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    You should get pretty much full signal with a piece of wet string stuck in the aerial socket!

Well Adam I found a 10' length of coax and did as Geoff suggested and just pushed the centre wire into the socket and it works

It will be even better with the aerial that Gary is sending, so very nice of him

I am amazed by the sound of this little tuner even with my bit of coax... It is definitely the cheapest bit of hifi I have ever purchased in more than 30 years but it really is good.. Classic FM playing at the moment

Thank you to all that recommended the Denon
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

It would probably work even better if you'd used ordinary single fine multicore wire. The screen on the coax will probably reduce the signal you are getting.

You could try twisting the screen around the inner core at the opposite end though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

When I loaned my Leak 'Troughline' tuner to a friend of mine, we used the roof-mounted TV aerial to excellent effect.

The Rowbridge transmitter is only about 30km from Portsmouth, and with an ERP of 60kW you would probably find a screwdriver stuck in the aerial socket would work as well!
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    When I loaned my Leak 'Troughline' tuner to a friend of mine, we used the roof-mounted TV aerial to excellent effect.

The Rowbridge transmitter is only about 30km from Portsmouth, and with an ERP of 60kW you would probably find a screwdriver stuck in the aerial socket would work as well!
    Maybe I will try the 'screwdriver' method later

Yes the 'Rowridge' transmitter, on the Isle of Wight, is very close

ps.. what does ERP mean?... or am I being a thicko..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Maybe I will try the 'screwdriver' method later

Yes the 'Rowridge' transmitter, on the Isle of Wight, is very close

ps.. what does ERP mean?... or am I being a thicko..
    ERP refers to Effective Radiated power. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_radiated_power
    You are always better dimensioning and orientating antenna for the frequency being received.

This then improves the signal to noise ratio which directly equates to audio quality. You should notice
    stereo separation improves as well as depth. The difference between tuners will also be more apparent.

A signal strength meter if installed on your tuner, is very handy to see when reception for the desired channel is best.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Chris.

No tuners are very different - replying to the threads question. It is in how they portray instruments depth and separation

Tonight I am comparing a Yamaha CT1010 vs Marantz ST50 - the Yamaha excels in depth and separating instruments
    the Marantz is appealing but lacks the refinement and correct portrayal of sound the Yamaha effortlessly provides.

Antenna is a 88-108Mhz dipole connecting to each tuners 75 ohm fitting with good signal strength on each. Radio station Concert FM NZ
    I will try a Pioneer TX9500 next.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    You're just across the water from the transmitter at Rowridge. You should get pretty much full signal with a piece of wet string stuck in the aerial socket!
    Agree about the rofl comment earlier.

This page suggests a better approach - http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-FM-Antenna

In my experience it is much better to use a proper roof or loft mounted aerial. They may be costly though, both for the kit, and also the installation. You have to decide whether it's worth it or not, or whether to stick with DAB or use internet delivered channels - or put up with some signal degradation. I wanted aerials for our new home when we moved into it, and I was quoted about £800 for several, to be put up on the roof (TV, DAB, FM). I didn't bother.

Last time I tried to make an aerial I used wire strapped to a garden cane. It was better than the silly little things which sometimes get supplied with tuners. Also the orientation of the aerial matters - both in the horizontal plane, and in the vertical plane. This depends to some extent on the transmitter which it is desired to pick up. I think - IIRC - that 45 degrees is the best compromise for different transmitters, to pick up both horizontally and vertically polarised (even circular?) signals - but if one knows the polarisation of the transmitter then the best results should be obtained by matching that as well as possible.

Here is another design - http://mikestechblog.com/ubuntu-ante...these-plans/2/ - bit ugly, and takes up space, though later on in the article it is hidden behind a picture. Not sure that would be a very good design, though.

Here is another - https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...le-antenna.php

These cheap DIY designs do get one's kit going, but are nothing like optimal.
    Dave

I am loving having a second source after years of cd only

I think the Denon tuner is excellent

I actually purchased two of them just in case

I will probably sell one of them but as they are identical it doesn't matter which one
    Bev

I'm Nick.

I've only just found this thread. I can see where Neil is coming from regarding the Kenwoods. I have a Kenwood L-1000T bought a couple of years ago and I think this is probably the best I have ever used overall. Sound quality from a good live feed really can be amazing. It was their TOTL model in the early 90s, and was their best 'modern' tuner i.e. with PLL tuning, presets etc.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_G View Post
    I've only just found this thread. I can see where Neil is coming from regarding the Kenwoods. I have a Kenwood L-1000T bought a couple of years ago and I think this is probably the best I have ever used overall. Sound quality from a good live feed really can be amazing. It was their TOTL model in the early 90s, and was their best 'modern' tuner i.e. with PLL tuning, presets etc.
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I haven't heard every tuner made, but I have played with over 30 in my own set up (most regarded as being among the very best ever made) and among those I can say what I think is good value for money having compared them. I was originally planning on writing a comparative review, but the Tuner Info Network gets it pretty close to what I have heard, so I didn't see the point anymore in doing it.

I may at some point sell of some of the tuners, the ones I don't feel attached to.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast