+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Tuners ... are they all pretty much the same ?

I'm Geoff.

Bev. Where you are, the FM reception is probably quite decent. Try just a reasonable length of wire to get you started.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Bev. Where you are, the FM reception is probably quite decent. Try just a reasonable length of wire to get you started.
    Thanks Geoff... I have no idea if Portsmouth has a decent FM reception or not but the car FM seems pretty good.. I just need to find a coax plug somewhere and as you say a length of coax wire might be enough to start with
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Poke the wire into the hole in the middle of the socket where the centre pin of the coax plug goes. Should work!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Poke the wire into the hole in the middle of the socket where the centre pin of the coax plug goes. Should work!
    Thanks Geoff I will give that a go..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Gary.

If you PM me with your address, Bev, I'll pop a 300 Ohm aerial (that's the plastic "T" ribbon) in the post to you. I have a spare, so you may as well have it. I don't think you will get anywhere using a length of coax wire as a makeshift aerial, unless you remove it from its braided wire sheath first. I think that sheath is designed to stop the wire picking up any airborne signals from outside. Cheers. Gary.

I'm Chris.

Default Dimension of antenna cable and tuning

If just using wire make a dipole with dimensions depending on frequency of reception calculated here: http://www.procato.com/calculator-wavelength-frequency/
    good result is had with either a 5/8th or 1/2 wavelength dipole - because you are maximising reception of the voltage leaving the transmission antenna
    A dipole with 852mm in each half provides the lowest frequencies - as well as higher ones, but follow the calculator if you have a favorite station you
    want to specifically receive.

A 300 ohm antenna follows a stated distance of one conductor to the next over the length of cable not spread out, vs a 50 or 75 ohm coax
    that has a smaller dimension from inner to outer. The length not spread out then assists getting the signal from the section of antenna spread out
    to your tuner. You can help by placing this cable on the right labeled antenna connection at the rear of your tuner.

Next,ideally you need to also know the stations polarity of transmission. in fairly flat areas it is likely to be horizontal, and hilly areas vertical. Some stations
    waste enormous power trying to cater for both with what is called circular polarization . Accordingly orientate your antenna to suit their polarity.

If wanting many frequencies and omnidirectional reception and importantly an antenna with good impedance matching - which then maximises transfer across a
    coax cable with stated impedance a discone is a good all round ( excuse the pun ) answer. Invented by Armig Kandoian they have many much needed
    properties including dimensions less than 1/2 wavelength , 10 to 1 bandwidth and excellent impedance matching to 50 ohms which is the broadcast impedance standard.
    Accordingly if using this antenna use 50 ohm coax not 75 ohm.

But for now a wire dimensioned correctly will do.

Cheers / Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    If you PM me with your address, Bev, I'll pop a 300 Ohm aerial (that's the plastic "T" ribbon) in the post to you. I have a spare, so you may as well have it. I don't think you will get anywhere using a length of coax wire as a makeshift aerial, unless you remove it from its braided wire sheath first. I think that sheath is designed to stop the wire picking up any airborne signals from outside. Cheers. Gary.
    You are so kind Gary.. PM sent
    Bev

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Next,ideally you need to also know the stations polarity of transmission. in fairly flat areas it is likely to be horizontal, and hilly areas vertical. Some stations
    waste enormous power trying to cater for both with what is called circular polarization . Accordingly orientate your antenna to suit their polarity.

If wanting many frequencies and omnidirectional reception and importantly an antenna with good impedance matching - which then maximises transfer across a
    coax cable with stated impedance a discone is a good all round ( excuse the pun ) answer. Invented by Armig Kandoian they have many much needed
    properties including dimensions less than 1/2 wavelength , 10 to 1 bandwidth and excellent impedance matching to 50 ohms which is the broadcast impedance standard.
    That's interesting. When I had an aerial out up I wanted a full element thing but the installer recommended a circular array due to the way stations are broadcast in this area. Which has a lot of hills and ridges. That must be why. He did explain but his explanation made no sense to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post

That's interesting. When I had an aerial put up I wanted a full element thing but the installer recommended a circular array due to the way stations are broadcast in this area. Which has a lot of hills and ridges. That must be why. He did explain but his explanation made no sense to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Thanks Geoff... I have no idea if Portsmouth has a decent FM reception or not but the car FM seems pretty good.. I just need to find a coax plug somewhere and as you say a length of coax wire might be enough to start with
    You're just across the water from the transmitter at Rowridge. You should get pretty much full signal with a piece of wet string stuck in the aerial socket!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast