+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot Sale HiFi 2017

I'm Martin.

Not here they don't. Here it's all house clearance crap. I mean complete tat that just needs tipping.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Don't know why it is but all the Charity shops around here (and there are loads of them) have all stopped selling electrical gear, and all the LP'S seem to be James Last or Mrs Mills.

Still kick myself for the one time I did see an amp which was one of the big Pioneer silvers in the S-9000 range for £50 and at the time was skint (again) so had to pass, that was a few years ago now but virtually nothing in any of them now, and as said above most don't hold any electrical stock at all.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Martin.

I think it is because due to heath & safety gone mad they are obliged to test mains powered electricals before offering for sale. And as most of it is tat that won't sell anyway they won't spend the money to do it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not here they don't. Here it's all house clearance crap. I mean complete tat that just needs tipping.
    Ha- that's what you get living in an area overrun by oiks!

I always find that the nicer/wealthier the area, the better the contents generally are in charity shops and car boots...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Here we spend our money on booze and fags not squander it on expensive crap just to give it away 6 months later for 50p down a booty.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Fortunately, around here, out with of the chav dross and layabout scumbags, infecting certain housing estates, there's a lot of 'old money' and large properties locally, especially in rural towns and around Cheshire, so the 'pickings' are generally quite good - not that I go often to car boot sales though, much as I occasionally enjoy it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Only ever been to a car boot once, and then purely by chance. Walking along the sea front and a car park was being used. Nothing much to see, so I moved along rapidly. I never went back.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Only ever been to a car boot once, and then purely by chance. Walking along the sea front and a car park was being used. Nothing much to see, so I moved along rapidly. I never went back.
    That's because when you get there at 0630 or whatever and open up your van there is a whole crowd of them there already who will unload the van for you and then buy all the good stuff. I just used to stand back and have a ciggy while they fought like rats. By 0700 you've only got the tat left.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's because when you get there at 0630 or whatever and open up your van there is a whole crowd of them there already who will unload the van for you and then buy all the good stuff. I just used to stand back and have a ciggy while they fought like rats. By 0700 you've only got the tat left.
    I know that happens, I have seen similar at antique fairs.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I know that happens, I have seen similar at antique fairs.
    Car boot is just antiquing for poor people. Or angry loners with time on their hands, like me.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast