+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuse on each AC wire of component when fed by Balanced Power Transformer?

I'm Bruce.

Default Fuse on each AC wire of component when fed by Balanced Power Transformer?

I've been feeding my HiFi with a balanced power transformer the last few months to good effect. But lately I've been considering internal fusing on the components. Since there is no Neutral & Live wire anymore, just two Live wires, if the internal fuse blows it only affects the wire that has always been Live. The formerly Neutral unfused wire is still Live in a balanced system, I think. So if I have the opportunity, especially on the amplifier, it seems good to fuse the second Live wire, right?
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

No - what you should have is a double-pole RCB in the output from the secondary winding, so if there is a leakage to earth by whatever means, the current imbalance will cause the RCB to trip.

If you use double-pole fusing, should one fuse blow, the mains will not be fully disconnected and there will be 120V on the line with the intact fuse.
    Barry

I'm Bruce.

I already have a double pole rcb on the balanced transformer output. I'm talking about the additional internal fusing once we get just inside the amp.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

The same argument applies: if there is an overcurrent, owing to fuse tolerances, it is unlikely that both fuses will blow, so one leg or the other could still have 120V on it.

I would leave the single fuse in place. After all, if it were to blow you would of course unplug the amp from your BMU before investigating the fault.
    Barry

I'm Bruce.

If I understand correctly, the internal fuse does two things: 1) it protects me if a fault puts voltage on the enclosure; 2) it protects the amp's circuitry in case of a fault. Right?

Unplugging the amp protects me. But if a fault was dangerous to the circuitry, the internal fuse only protected one leg, right?

Bruce

If the internal fuse blows, current is cut off from the amp's internal transformer and no harm will be done to the circuitry.
    Barry

I'm Bruce.

Ah yes, that. Thank you

Bruce

+ Reply to Thread