+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The death of high fidelity

I'm Simon.

A very interesting thread. Is high fidelity dead ?
    Was it ever alive in the first place to the man on the street ? Personally I think not, the ipod has replaced the Currys 'midi' system, it hasn't replaced the turntable nor the cd for people who want the best sound they can afford.

I'm a subscriber to the Music Matter Blue note releases. Stunning reissues of a range of Blue Note records, pressed at 45rpm, in superb gatefolds with extra photos from the sessions. Two arrived last week and these are just stunning, the best records I've heard outside of original Deccas from the early 60's. Silent records, with the music just bounding out at you, dynamic and full of good Jazz swing.

This from a technology that has been around for how many decades, and yet still they manage to raise the bar on quality even though we keep hearing all this computer stuff is taking over.

Ok these pressings aren't cheap but thanks to the current £ to $ ratio I paid $70 for two records plus postage from the US - and these are the best upgrade you can get for a hifi, quality music with care taken to ensure they are the best.

People who care for music will still spend the extra on turntables and cd players, still pay for the better pressing and rematsers on cd for the simple reason they allow the music to communicate better.

High fidelity dead ? thankfully yes it is

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

People who care for music will still spend the extra on turntables and cd players, still pay for the better pressing and rematsers on cd for the simple reason they allow the music to communicate better.
    Nice one, Griffo. Count me in. High quality vinyl rules! There's nothing to touch it.

I don't own an iPod or an MP3 player - and never will. They're an abomination, sonically, and simply not hi-fi, certainly in a portable format. There's a standard of sound reproduction that I will not go below, and the above plastic abominations give me ear bleed when used with those horrid 'earbud' things.

When I'm travelling I use my trusty 1985 Sony Walkman Pro with TDK SA chrome tapes I've made of music recorded from my system at home via a Nakamichi CR-7. Result? Superlative analogue sound quality which is a million miles from the 'angry bees in your ear' low-fi sonic row of an iPod or MP3 player! And as for being serious sources in a hi-end system? Don't make me laugh!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Griffo. Count me in. High quality vinyl rules! There's nothing to touch it.

I don't own an iPod or an MP3 player - and never will. They're an abomination, sonically, and simply not hi-fi, certainly in a portable format. There's a standard of sound reproduction that I will not go below, and the above plastic abominations give me ear bleed when used with those horrid 'earbud' things.

When I'm travelling I use my trusty 1985 Sony Walkman Pro with TDK SA chrome tapes I've made of music recorded from my system at home via a Nakamichi CR-7. Result? Superlative analogue sound quality which is a million miles from the 'angry bees in your ear' low-fi sonic row of an iPod or MP3 player! And as for being serious sources in a hi-end system? Don't make me laugh!!

Marco.

I do use an MP3 player, an old Creative one, simply for listening late at night, tunes recorded at the hughest sample rate, 320kb, for the unit. I use 'proper' Sennheiser headphones and it sounds ok. slap it through a hifi though and it really just doesn't work and even using them on my second budget system, the Sony DVD/SACD player playing normal cds easily sees it off for coherence, dynamic, flow and rythmic integrity. And I'm no fan of cd.

People seem to forget that the man on the street never got into hifi, they still haven't but those who take their music seriously will still make the effort. I'm not talking about some of the serious high end BS, you really don't need to spend silly money to put a quality hifi togther and I think that's what puts so many people off.

If the mags simplified and featured more articles on quality affordable gear then we would see more enjoy decent sounding musical systems.

Wadia doing an ipod dock ? Gimme a break please, garbage in, garbage out, as they used say in Glasgow.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I totally agree. But it would be interesting to hear it (I think they're only £350) just to see if the combination has any audiophile potential and how the sound compares to a top-notch Red Book CDP.

I believe Krell also do a similar iPod dock.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I heard the Krell docking system at the Manchester show. It was not good. I'll give you this analogy: imagine a picture taken with a 110 film being printed onto poster sized paper. It looks overblown and grainy. Put an Ipod Nano through a full-blown hi-fi rig and the sonic equivalent is what you get.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123