+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mains Distribution Unit

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Ken.

Default Mains Distribution Unit

I've been considering the pros and cons for my audio systems power needs for a while.
    Like all things relating to HiFi there are polar opinions regarding mains filters, some swear by them and say they improved the sound of their system, others say they suck the life out of their power amps and wouldn't recommend them.
    Ideally, I would go with a big transformer and a balanced output. (+120/0/-120V secondaries) 240v total across the output.
    As I don't have the space for this, I will keep it simple, my main need is just a tidy way of distributing power to my gear and a 10amp unit should be enough to power my whole system.

I purchased one of these Furman M-10x E power distribution units from a Pro Audio (DJ) supplier.

The unit has a basic noise filter and spike protection, with a 10amp resettable trip on the back.
    There is a single IEC c14 input socket on the back and x10 IEC c13 outlets.
    The front has an additional outlet, an on/off switch and a Green LED to indicate it is functioning.
    The on/off switch is 2 pole and the internal wiring is a decent 2.5mm sq.
    Pretty basic, but at £80, in a well built 1U x 19" case, I'm not complaining.
    Being the tweaker that I am, I decided to give it some additional functionality.

I got one of these Chinese AC Volt/Amp meters off the Bay (£7 delivered).
    This will allow me to monitor the current draw, so I don't overload the distribution unit and keep an eye on the voltage available.

That's the meter wired in, I put a small switch on it's supply, so I can disable it if the constant display gets annoying.
    I also changed the units "On" LED from Green to Blue to match the meter back-light and the rest of my kit.
    The small board in the centre is the filter/spike protection, which seems nothing more advanced than you would find in a filtered multi way extension block. But that might be a good thing......

It looks smart when set into the panel and I'm pleased with myself for making the changes without scratching the front of the unit.

This is the reading when I plugged my kettle in to the back. There are adjustment pots inside the meter and I calibrated it so the readings match my multi meters at 240V and 9A settings.

This unit will do the job for me.
    Last edited by Qwin; 01-01-2017 at 11:01.

+ Reply to Thread