+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage or modern TT?

I'm James.

The Stanton is a cheap DJ turntable!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

montesquieu Guest

It all depends on money. There are undoubtedly some fantastic modern (or at least 'current') turntables - VPI is mentioned, but you need to talk about Platine Verdier, or maybe some of the top of the range stuff from Goldmund, Clearaudio or even SME. Are vintage turntables always as good as these top-end statement products? In reality, probably not. But for the money you can get surprisingly close, for a literal fraction of the cost.

I've been round the (vintage) houses over many years now. I had an LP12 for 20 years, but hearing a Townshend Rock changed my perspective and made me realise I was missing a lot. I've since owned both the Rock and the Rock Reference, assorted tricked out 401s and Lencos, a three-motor Voyd, and a couple of Denon DDs (among several others). I won't list the tonearms and cartridges. I settled on the Thorens TD124 MkII because I thought it was supremely musical though I don't doubt there are quieter, more resolving decks out there but the Thorens for me was the sweet spot in this lot.

I've heard other decent decks, vintage and modern, that I really liked and would willingly own, such as the SP10 (do you count the Techie as vintage or modern? Nottingham Analogue? I don't know). But the Thorens does it for me.

Back to the question - cost no object? I would go modern. Looking for best bang for the buck? Go vintage (or at least, not 'new'). I mentioned you can get vintage decks to perform nearly as good as modern high end for a fraction of the cost - I haven't heard a new production deck under £5k I'd take over my TD124. But I have definitely heard a couple over £20k that I'd gladly give a home to, given the cash.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The Stanton is a cheap DJ turntable!
    It sure is in exactly the same way the SL1210 is.

I'm Shaun.

Hmmm... you mention Nottingham Analogue. Absolutely love their decks especially the cheapie Interspace deck. I'd quite forgotten about them.

I'm James.

Notts analogue would definitely be good choice, it would have been mine if I hadn't heard the VPI.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    There are undoubtedly some fantastic modern (or at least 'current') turntables - VPI is mentioned, but you need to talk about Platine Verdier, or maybe some of the top of the range stuff from Goldmund, Clearaudio or even SME. Are vintage turntables always as good as these top-end statement products? In reality, probably not. But for the money you can get surprisingly close, for a literal fraction of the cost.

The Platine Verdier is hardly modern, but certainly still current, despite the passing of Jean-Claude Verdier. The PV is an 80s design, which keeps on performing. My PV is a cracker and totally outperformed my two TD124/IIs, my TD125, TD160 and Logic DM101. Mind you, as Tom says, the TD124/II is excellent value, if you don't want to spend >£5k on the TT chassis.

I'm Shaun.

Some of the things I found so attractive about the Logic DM101 was its resistance to structural feedback due mainly to its incredible suspension system and the sheer good looks of the thing. I find that in terms of good looks, it now shares that with the VPI Prime but of course it certainly doesn't share the suspension system with any VPI deck. At the time, back in 1983, we did a side to side comparison of the Logic with a Linn LP12 and the Logic quite literally obliterated the Linn at sound quality and detail resolution. It was a lovely deck back then but of course times change and things move on. At the present time I cannot imagine spending 3k or more on a turntable combo when for seven hundred quid I am getting such amazing resolution from my digital replay.

I'm Alan.

When I bought this Pioneer I sold my Linn LP12, Michell Gyro/Orbe, Rega PL3

IMG_2867 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

In modern turntables I do like the look of the VPI cecks but have never heard one.

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm John.

For the exotic and for those with lots of Money a new deck can be .....however many who enjoy this hobby have only limited budgets and thus new can be ruled out .......

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    When I bought this Pioneer I sold my Linn LP12, Michell Gyro/Orbe, Rega PL3

IMG_2867 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

In modern turntables I do like the look of the VPI cecks but have never heard one.

Alan
    The plc-590 is gorgeous mate, a lovely tt you have
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast