+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for January!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It was mild last Jan as well, then we got in to February and it went bloody freezing for 4 weeks.
    Yebbut the Express/Corbyn were predicting a Big Freeze starting in late November and lasting till late March! A bit of a cold snap in February is par for the course.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It was a beautiful sunny day here in Wrexham, but what mattered most was that the weather was going to be nice where we were going for the day (Abingdon, near Oxford), to the 'Miele Experience' showroom (see here: https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/mie...ngdon-2912.htm), as we're in the middle of designing a new kitchen and would like to use Miele appliances throughout, simply because in terms of quality, they are in a league of their own (pure German engineering excellence).

Trouble is, go along to your average electrical showroom, and you'll find hardly any Miele products represented, so it's hard to get an idea a) what stuff looks like, and b) any proper aspects of its functionality.

Anyway the weather was even better down in Oxford than at home, so all good! In the Experience showroom, every Miele product is represented, and you're allocated a trained member of staff to show you around, tell you everything you need to know, and give you live demonstrations of cookery, etc, which was all very useful and so well worth the trip! We now know exactly what to buy!

After that, we found a lovely little pub for lunch, The White Hart at Fyfield: http://www.whitehart-fyfield.com/pwp...php?pwpID=7110

For anyone who finds themselves in the Oxford area, or who lives there but was unaware of The White Hart, I'd thoroughly recommend it. The pub itself is lovely, with bags of olde worlde charm and character, the selection of local ales extensive and of the highest quality, and the food top notch, where all the produce is sourced locally.

All in all, a great day out!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It was a beautiful sunny day here in Wrexham, but what mattered most was that the weather was going to be nice where we were going for the day (Abingdon, near Oxford), to the 'Miele Experience' showroom (see here: https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/mie...ngdon-2912.htm), as we're in the middle of designing a new kitchen and would like to use Miele appliances throughout, simply because in terms of quality, they are in a league of their own (pure German engineering excellence).

Trouble is, go along to your average electrical showroom, and you'll find hardly any Miele products represented, so it's hard to get an idea a) what stuff looks like, and b) any proper aspects of its functionality.

Anyway the weather was even better down in Oxford than at home, so all good! In the Experience showroom, every Miele product is represented, and you're allocated a trained member of staff to show you around, tell you everything you need to know, and give you live demonstrations of cookery, etc, which was all very useful and so well worth the trip! We now know exactly what to buy!

After that, we found a lovely little pub for lunch, The White Hart at Fyfield: http://www.whitehart-fyfield.com/pwp...php?pwpID=7110

For anyone who finds themselves in the Oxford area, or who lives there but was unaware of The White Hart, I'd thoroughly recommend it. The pub itself is lovely, with bags of olde worlde charm and character, the selection of local ales extensive and of the highest quality, and the food top notch, where all the produce is sourced locally.

All in all, a great day out!

Marco.
    Excellent. Sounds like a nice wee day out.

It's good that there are still quality goods available if you're prepared to spend.

Pulled a piece of kitchen roll off one handed the other day but it was one of the last sheets and was glued to the last piece around the inner tube or something which meant it didn't "roll" but pulled the cast iron stand over.....onto the ceramic job

Looked at the induction hobs but would have had to replace both sets of (good) saucepans. Also *far* too complicated. Takes about 10 seconds to unlock and switch on. Went for the best quality standard one with knobs on (Neff) K.I.S.S.

I'm Geoff.

The icy, foggy gloom persists. Wonder if it'll brighten up later? Yesterday was almost springlike in the afternoon.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Temp about same at moment at 8c, but a strongish southerly wind
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Excellent. Sounds like a nice wee day out.

It's good that there are still quality goods available if you're prepared to spend.
    All in all, it was. Nearly a 6-hour round trip though, just to go and look at some kitchen appliances... At least she can't say I don't love her. lol! Well, I've certainly spent enough on hi-fi over the years, so I guess fair's fair...

I actually quite enjoyed the experience, and it was an education discovering just how much attention to detail goes into the design of Miele products, which is still after all these years a family-run company, with the accent on producing the best and most up to date kitchen appliances possible, driven from the ground up by quality, not price, which picks up on your second point.

We're the type who like to buy something really good ONCE, which hopefully will last a very long time, than something less good (and cheaper), which will likely need replacing sooner rather than later, as for us that's a false economy and not very environmentally friendly. We were chatting to some other people there, some of whom have owned Miele products for over 25 years, and their stuff is still going strong!

That's another reason why we chose Miele, because they have an A+++ efficiency rating on most of their products. Del's a massive 'greeny'!

We're also not fashion victims, driven by the latest 'must have' fad, so are quite happy to 'soldier on' using something (as long as it continues to function perfectly well) that's eventually considered as 'obsolete'. It's only 5 years ago, for example, that we've got rid of our Sony CRT TV!

Pulled a piece of kitchen roll off one handed the other day but it was one of the last sheets and was glued to the last piece around the inner tube or something which meant it didn't "roll" but pulled the cast iron stand over.....onto the ceramic job
    Feck - bit of a nightmare, that. You sound a bit like Mr Bean!

Looked at the induction hobs but would have had to replace both sets of (good) saucepans. Also *far* too complicated. Takes about 10 seconds to unlock and switch on. Went for the best quality standard one with knobs on (Neff) K.I.S.S.
    Induction hobs are exactly what we're getting. Couldn't believe how quickly a pan of water was boiled!! You really wouldn't need a kettle... Del was thinking about getting one of those instant hot water taps, which fit beside the sink, but that'll no longer be necessary, such is the efficiency of the induction hob.

Dunno what you mean about far too complicated, as even I (who rarely ever go near cookers) could use it, as it was a piece of piss! Maybe the Miele one is more user friendly than the Neff? No idea. All I know is that the hobs couldn't have been easier to use, along with the superb steam oven, which also almost makes microwaves redundant!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Miele steam ovens are reputedly very good. Dont gum up like most as the steam is produced elsewhere. Always liked Miele gear.. buy cheap, buy twice was my grannies motto
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Miele steam ovens are reputedly very good. Dont gum up like most as the steam is produced elsewhere. Always liked Miele gear.. buy cheap, buy twice was my grannies motto
    And mine, lol! TBH mate, I don't think Miele make a duff product. The steam oven we're getting is touch-control and even has presets for how long to cook various types of fish! Their coffee machines too are, for me, almost in a league of their own.

That 'quality first' policy is also why we bought our chairs, sofas and curtains from Laura Ashley (that and the cottage-style look suits our house), as everything is handmade to your spec, and the quality of the carcasses superb - an area often overlooked by many people in their superficial quest for what simply 'looks nice' from the outside!

As with hi-fi, with furniture, it's what's 'under the hood' that matters most...

Most of these things from DFS/SCS, or whatever, lose their shape and start to look scruffy in about 12 months. We wouldn't give them house room. But then if you're going to be changing your sofa almost as often as your underpants, I guess that doesn't matter...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Changing underpants? What a fanciful idea
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Ha - you sound like me. Only change them if, when you throw them against the wall, they stick - and even then they might still be good for another day or so!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast