+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi setup?

I'm Luis.

Default Raspberry Pi setup?

Hello Guys,

I am willing to try a RBPi based system but I cannot make my mind completely.

I don´t know if it would be better to use my old laptop+external USB DAC other that the RBPi+IS2 DAC.

The ideia of the dedicated small computer as a dedicated source and plus the headless software makes sense.

Soundwise, if I invest 250 euro on a DAC or the same 250 euros on RBPi+IS2DAC, were should I get the best results?

I'm Grant.

Good question. Doubt you will spend 250 on a pi unless its a fancy one. Depends on box but probably half that. Same can be said potentially of dac of course. Much depends on what you want. One i just bought was 120£. My rpi is very good and in my main system with an external hdd. The dac i am using with my headphones from pc running jriver, which costs but is a nice package and can be run with their remote app.
    Inclined to say, it depends on how pc geeky you are, as rpi/moode takes a bit more knowledge to set up, while jriver/dac is pretty much plug n play to a point.

Personally i like this new dac and if i continue to, my rpi will become redundant
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mel.

My personal option would be a pi with PI/DAC using player software such as Moode.

Use a good quality DAC from a recognised supplier (rather than ebay) and you should have little problem with setting up. Moode is really a PI operating system dedicated to music playing. With a PI 3 you can connect by ethernet or wirless to a NAS or else plug in a USB device to hold your music on board. The player uses a web based access portal so any iphone/smart phone/pc can control your playing choice and volume.

I have a number of pi/DACs and consider them equal to my Mac/Audirvana/Meridian Explorer 2 DAC setup.

Mel

I'm Luis.

I am not that much of a geek and don´t enjoy playing with computers very much but I have someone who can help me so I don´t consider that a problem.

What DAC are you talking about?

Many Thanks.

I'm Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    My personal option would be a pi with PI/DAC using player software such as Moode.

Use a good quality DAC from a recognised supplier (rather than ebay) and you should have little problem with setting up. Moode is really a PI operating system dedicated to music playing. With a PI 3 you can connect by ethernet or wirless to a NAS or else plug in a USB device to hold your music on board. The player uses a web based access portal so any iphone/smart phone/pc can control your playing choice and volume.

I have a number of pi/DACs and consider them equal to my Mac/Audirvana/Meridian Explorer 2 DAC setup.

Mel

I see... What kind of Pi DACs should I look for?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by SantanaCorreia View Post
    I am not that much of a geek and don´t enjoy playing with computers very much but I have someone who can help me so I don´t consider that a problem.

What DAC are you talking about?

Many Thanks.
    Thats good if you know someone to get you started. Its fairly easy once someone has showed you, but a bit daunting by self if you dont know what your doing. A lot of folk go off rpi because of this. I usa an audiophonics dac in my rpi which is just a 2b version rpi.
    The standalone dac i recently bought was a smsl m6 minidac. very good for the money in my opinion. sound via headphones is superb, and it does high sample rates too . I find jriver a good program tbh and it has a lot going for it with the remote app. (both paid for though) Got a feeling my pi might be getting sold soon lol.
    This is how my pi looks with a fancy box. quite pretty, and sounds very good too.. Something like this wouldnt cost too much although more than I paid for the mini dac, plus you need cables and a hdd

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by SantanaCorreia View Post
    I see... What kind of Pi DACs should I look for?
    I think the I2S 'HAT' Dacs are the way to go. The IQaudio Pi-Dac+ gets a lot of positive comments. Also a newcomer, the Allo Piano Dac, which I like a lot, particularly when paired with the Allo Kali reclocker.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    I think the I2S 'HAT' Dacs are the way to go. The IQaudio Pi-Dac+ gets a lot of positive comments. Also a newcomer, the Allo Piano Dac, which I like a lot, particularly when paired with the Allo Kali reclocker.
    I've got a couple of pi2s with HAT DAC boards, an IQaudio DAC+, and an Audiophonics V2...

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/kits-m...s-p-10176.html

...both represent fantastic VFM, however in terms of absolute SQ the Audiophonics is noticeably better to my ears.

I was considering the 'Allo' option, but I use piCorePlayer as my preferred software (runs from RAM), and I'm not sure the Allo is currently supported
    Cheers, Will

I'm Mel.

I have an Audiophonics v3 DAC along with several other brands and would agree the sound, to my ears, is much nicer and is my favourite. This is one of the few Pi DACS which is using the ESS Sabre DAC and has a very good build quality. Audiophonics are also very helpful and fast in dealing with any queries.

Mel

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I was considering the 'Allo' option, but I use piCorePlayer as my preferred software (runs from RAM), and I'm not sure the Allo is currently supported
    The Allo Piano will run in Moode under the 'IQAudio Pi Dac+' setting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast