+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Echo Dot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Justin is trying to nag me into buying one.
    I don't really know what I'd use it for.
    It only took two years of nagging to get Jerry to use online streaming LOL.

I'm Geoff.

I was in the USA just before Christmas and saw this as well as the larger version. I was quite impressed until I saw the Google equivalent. This had much better sound quality although was somewhat behind the Echo in terms of compatible apps. I regret not buying one not least because they were on promotion at $99.

I am waiting to see if and when Google catches up with Amazon on the apps front, but I anticipate that there will be a proliferation of such devices once the public catches on to how versatile they can be. A bit like a voice recognising Raspberry Pi!

Geoff

I'm Josie.

The only thing I don't like about these things is that (I believe) that they collate data to eventually sell to the highest bidder.

It's very cool but not for me 'unless' it's totally unhooked from my router or that there is a policy in place not to send data.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    The only thing I don't like about these things is that (I believe) that they collate data to eventually sell to the highest bidder.

It's very cool but not for me 'unless' it's totally unhooked from my router or that there is a policy in place not to send data.
    It is 1984 and Big Brother is watching you. Your phone is doing far more spying on you I suspect.

I agree with you I have reservations too.

Phones and devices like this rely on one thing - they are so useful it overrides any such concerns.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post

Quite likely. Your 'lifestyle' will be subject to scrutiny!

(and I despise those dozy looking bushy beards on blokes with short hair. They look like WW2 German submariners)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

They come in different colours
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Ohmibod linkable?

You could have virtual sex with ya washing machine.... LOL
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

Indeed, it's a convenience item so risks are taken.

My phone has everything switched off and I always use my land line when I'm at home. My laptop is obviously linked.

I love tech stuff but I wish it just didn't come with the secretive big brother element. It's our data and therefore should be ours to sell if we choose to.

Anyway, let's not detract from the thread...

It's really cool, let us know how you get on with it. Have you got any of the other switch devices yet?

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Justin.

I've given Alexa a constant stream of abuse and she stands up well to it.

Most disturbing moment so far - wife and I are arguing about Alexa and she tells us to change the subject. Freaky.

I'm Grant.

data seems to be big business. The legal kind anyways, so they can target you with ads. Quite like sending them on wild goose chases actually.
    Anyway i considered getting one but ultimately decided an old buffer like me could do without a nagging voice, and can save my cadh for other things
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast