+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTD: Pair of Audax HD17B 25H speaker drivers

I'm Andrew.

Default WTD: Pair of Audax HD17B 25H speaker drivers

Trying to restore an old pair of Heybrook HB2's. Does anyone have a pair?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

bump!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

here's my six monthly bump.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

What’s wrong with the old ones?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

They blow and got replaced with some weird replacement.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

Ah, so you don’t have them any more? That’s a shame. The big problem with those drivers was having a very heavy magnet attached to a rather flimsy lightweight pressed steel basket. If you then have the back of the magnet pressing against a piece of one inch plastic drainpipe, the other end of which sat in a recess in the rear panel, then you can see that it doesn’t take much variation in the length of the pipe or the depth of the recess to cause the basket to flex enough to get the voice coil rubbing. Those that survived the assembly process then only has to be chucked about a bit by a gung ho carrier driver for the weight of the magnet to do the same thing. It was a problem that caused a lot of warranty returns over the years, but in fact it wasn’t that hard to bend the thing back into shape. I know a number of pairs of HB2s still going strong nearly 40 years later. Sadly though, the main reason why the 2 eventually went out of production was because Audax stopped making the bass unit in around 1986. I can’t recall any other speaker that used it, so consequently nowadays they make unicorn wing primary pinions look positively commonplace.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

BUMP!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread