+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rogers LS3/5A restoration

I'm Adrian.

I know a little about their history... they belonged to an old gent (English) here in Alicante for many years until one stopped working (about 8 years ago). He got a Spanish electrician to fix them - without success. They were then left in storage until he gave them to me in the hope I could fix them. Nope - I wouldn't have tried - hence the sale.
    Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm James.

Well done Ian, great thread by the way.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Adrian.

Knowing the awful state they were in Ian's nothing short of a genius!

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Ian.

Thank you Gents. I've really enjoyed this project and was keen to do justice to these lovely speakers, they've probably come out better than expected. I spent quite a long time listening today and apart from the lack of real low end I've been mightily impressed. I've chucked a variety of music from vinyl and digital (they love vinyl ) including male and female vocalists, rock, folk and even a little classical and jazz. They easily project sounds wide and deep, the footsteps on Floyd's Granchester Meadows come from way behind and wide of the left speaker before they march with no jumps across the soundstage - excellent imaging. Stevie Ray Vaughan's Tin Pan Alley sounded beautifully clear although the bass was a bit lighter than I'm used to.

I do have a problem though. I told my wife I bought them with the knowledge that they would be for sale in the near future, there are four other sets of speakers in the house and a few drivers including Coral Flat 8s so I'm already pushing my luck. Now I'm trying to convince her that they are a better investment than money in an ISA etc.
    I'm not sure she's convinced but is also very tolerant of my hobby so they'll probably stay for a while longer. I'll put my Neat Motive SX2s back in the system tomorrow and see if I will miss the Rogers - if I do then maybe I have to build some AB1 subs next

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Thank you Gents. I've really enjoyed this project and was keen to do justice to these lovely speakers, they've probably come out better than expected. I spent quite a long time listening today and apart from the lack of real low end I've been mightily impressed. I've chucked a variety of music from vinyl and digital (they love vinyl ) including male and female vocalists, rock, folk and even a little classical and jazz. They easily project sounds wide and deep, the footsteps on Floyd's Granchester Meadows come from way behind and wide of the left speaker before they march with no jumps across the soundstage - excellent imaging. Stevie Ray Vaughan's Tin Pan Alley sounded beautifully clear although the bass was a bit lighter than I'm used to.

I do have a problem though. I told my wife I bought them with the knowledge that they would be for sale in the near future, there are four other sets of speakers in the house and a few drivers including Coral Flat 8s so I'm already pushing my luck. Now I'm trying to convince her that they are a better investment than money in an ISA etc.
    I'm not sure she's convinced but is also very tolerant of my hobby so they'll probably stay for a while longer. I'll put my Neat Motive SX2s back in the system tomorrow and see if I will miss the Rogers - if I do then maybe I have to build some AB1 subs next
    Ah, wives and speakers. Fortunately my wife is fairly good about mine.
    I have three pairs indoors and a pair in the garage. They are JBLs for my PA system.

One pair is off to Spain soon, but I'm in the process of building another pair up.
    There are a pair of Radfords which I've bought and haven't collected yet.

Yes, I do love speakers...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123