+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MiniDSP for filtering

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Johan.

Default MiniDSP for filtering

Hi everyone,

I've built a pair of electrostatic loudspeakers and I'm considering to build a sub woofer for low frequency extension. I'm still not sure what type of woofer I want to build, although I like the idea of an open baffle woofer. For quick implementation of filters I like the idea of using a digital filter. As I want to keep things inexpensive / budget, I'm interested in the MiniDSP products like the 2x4 HD or NanoDigi 2x8 (B). Even without sub woofers a digital filter could be of good use , e.g. to damp the fundamental resonance of my electrostatic loudspeakers I think.

I'm just not sure about sound quality, would a digital filter affect sound quality in a negative way? As far as I understand from reports it should not be a problem. Do you have any opinions about this idea? I'm not overly critical as I'm currently using budget gear like a Hifiberry DAC+ which I find adequate. So I don't need the best quality gear, as long as it's good I'm fine with it.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

These are a versatile and good sounding bit of kit, paticularly so given the low cost. I used the 2x4 for a couple of years or so, before moving to the 4x10 HD, which is considerably better sounding IMO, albeit at a cost. It will also give you remote volume control as a bonus.

I'd recommend the 4x10 if funds allow.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j.postema View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm just not sure about sound quality, would a digital filter affect sound quality in a negative way? As far as I understand from reports it should not be a problem. Do you have any opinions about this idea? I'm not overly critical as I'm currently using budget gear like a Hifiberry DAC+ which I find adequate. So I don't need the best quality gear, as long as it's good I'm fine with it.
    A DSP certainly can affect SQ. Clearly audibly so.. in My ears
    Which I find odd as some wax on about perceived differences in resistors... whereas I've never been able to hear differences.
    Yet DSP noises go largely unmentioned.
    Will it be of concern to you? Dunno..It may or may not.
    Happily dsp gizmos can be quite inexpensive so not a costly experiment.. Try and see ?

I'm Mark.

What are the current choices on these ?
    I've heard a lot about MiniDSP, probably because it's affordable. There's the Behringer one , what's it called ( 9624 ? ) .
    I've heard some non-convincing sound from systems built around these, and although it would be great ( with my horn-based system ) I've not wanted to commit to any combination that depends on using these DSP devices, so far. Currently I'm looking at one option that DOES , though .. tentatively.
    I've seen mods discussed to the Behringer to make it sound better, by guys like Gary Pimm in the 'states so I guess the stock one doesn't sound that good if you have a very transparent system.
    In the London area horn-crowd ( if four or five people is a crowd ) I hear recommendations for the Nadja ( is it ? ) being a fair bit better.

Sorry, probably taking the thread off-topic but it would be interesting to hear some thoughts on where the MiniDSP sounds in terms of ranking. I'm concerned myself about how well a very good vinyl sound can get through these things, especially the HF bit.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The 4x10 sounds considerably better than the Behringer to my ears Mark, though mine wasn't modified.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mark.

OK, that's useful .
    I should really try & get down to Luton some time early this year and have a listen to Pete's system with the replica WE16a's with Najda DSP. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak - long wide-band horn with compression driver and good DSP.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not heard Nadja gear as yet, have read good things though.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Johan.

Hi, thanks for your replies and suggestions!

I'm Johan.

Hi,

I'm still considering to buy a MiniDSP like the 2x4 HD but still hesitating as I'm not sure if sound quality is compromised? I've read about limited amount of taps (2042 taps per chanel at 96khz, equivalent to 1021 taps at 48khz) which would not be enough for linear crossovers. But I'm not sure if I want that right now.

At the moment I use an old Windows pc with Peace equalizer software. Would the MiniDSP 2x4 HD be much more limited in sound quality? I prefer the idea of having a compact device that is low power and dedicated. I'm planning to use my CD player as transport, connect it digitally to the MiniDSP and use the MiniDSP remote for volume control. Would that have an audible effect on sound quality? And how does sound quality of the 2x4 HD compare to the 4x10? The 4x10 being more expensive, I prefer the 2x4 HD budget option.

Thanks!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

2x4 is cheap and sounds good. The 4x10 is considerably more expensive but sounds considerably better. Take your pick. :-)

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast