+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MiniDSP for filtering

I'm Steve.

Have a look at WAF Najda
    48 / 96 / 192 capable.
    It depends how DIY capable you are.
    2 x 4 as standard can be extended to 2 x 5 channels.
    It's the real deal SQ wise.
    The built in DACs are v good.
    Sound wise it was as good as, and considerably better than my favourite DAC and pre, costing many many times more, once you use the X/O, time alignment and room mode taming capabilities.

The Op amps can be upgraded using Burson discreet op amps.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Johan.

Is the DA-converter responsible for the lower sound quality of the 2x4 HD compared to the 4x10? Would, in that case, it be an alternative to get a nanoDIGI 2x8 B together with separate DA converters?

Another question: I would like to use the IR remote for volume control on the 2x4 HD as I will connect the digital output of my CD player, but would this affect the sound quality? (making signal smaller = less bits)
    Last edited by j.postema; 01-11-2017 at 22:40.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    Have a look at WAF Najda
    48 / 96 / 192 capable.
    Sound wise it was as good as, and considerably better than my favourite DAC and pre, costing many many times more, once you use the X/O, time alignment and room mode taming capabilities.

i find najda is very good and on par with deqx but less expensive. Although deqx does measure driver response and correct phase errors. Also room correction but I never used that. I don't have personal experience of minidsp. Anyone who claims to be able to hear any fault with dsp has my sympathies.
    I am using najda as a dac at the moment but got it for speaker projects when I get time for them. It has a very good dac.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Steve.

Good DSP I agree with Paul.
    Beringer 24/96 had noticeably poor SQ. The auto time alignment was fun though..

Mini DSP could be good, certainly the better one.
    I was put off by all the SW plug ins, seemed an over complex sales approach. That and the location.
    Najda is Europe and has 2 DIY audio threads as long as a hundred arms to read about and learn from and ask questions to.
    I guess there are similar for mini DSP though?
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm inthescottishmafia.

There is a miniDSP forum, lots of knowledge and helpful peeps.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Whether you want Phono or balanced outputs (or both) may effect your decision.
    miniDSP also do a plate amp with on board DSP. Meant for Sub use but would work providing the max crossover point is high enough for you, would need investigating. Hypex do something similar, which will probably be a little more expensive. Worth checking both these out as it could be a compact DSP/Amp solution.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    Have a look at WAF Najda
    48 / 96 / 192 capable.

Does it have digital outputs to allow you to use DACs of your choice?

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by iansr View Post
    Does it have digital outputs to allow you to use DACs of your choice?
    why would you, the dac is excellent.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    why would you, the dac is excellent.
    So you've got 2 DAC options, an excellent one and one that one of the world's leading DAC designers has been developing for about 4 years to make it as good as he possibly can. Which would you want to use?

I'm Steve.

There was much discussion about which DACs to use on the DIY audio thread at the time.
    You can argue that one DAC is technically better than another till you're blue in the face.
    The best sound discussion boiled down to how the DACs were implemented in the total solution.

You can change them and I've seen Najda builds with 5 standalone DACs, but that was a lot of work.

The main mod is changing the OP amps for Burson discreet jobbies.
    That's just an unplug and plug in..

Najda's analogue volume control is good. There's the ability to control each sub channel independently in analogue too.
    Perhaps the others can do this too?
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 08-11-2017 at 22:55.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast