+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Westminster 12" fronthorn DIY ...

I'm Martin.

Sounds like the problem is that the DMT are sounding a bit lost in the large room, no doubt due to their curtailed bass response. Personally I'd save myself a lot of time and trouble and keep the DMT as they are and add two active subwoofers with DSP to fill in from 50 Hz down. Butchering the Tannoys to make some sort of Frankenstein horn/bass bin contraption sounds like it would be an expensive stab in the dark. Okay two proper sub won't be cheap but I guess you could build them yourself. And the DSP would give you maximum flexibility in tuning them to be just right.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm mic.

@ Reffc ... thank you for your assessment.

Tolerance, respect towards those who those who think and act differently and the right to individuality are the core values ...
    I am a dissident and my open mind feed my ego ... think and act, make your own experiences.

Thank you PaulStewart,

GRF ...
    I had thought about that and stopped it because GRF has allegedly not enough bass (<60hz) for many people.
    In the past, my own experiences has shown me, that backloadedhorns like GRF in similar size needs a special tuning for a special drive-unit (i.a. Q-factor) ... in short: Vd,Ah,Am,Xmax,k, upper/lower frequence limit 'versus' BL etc. ... in consideration of the position of the loudspeaker and acoustics in the room ... and so on.
    Based on these experiences and other considerations, and taking into account the fact that I love a great variety of music style and
    my listenig room is very special, I prefer to split the signal in bass+lowmidhighs ...
    also to protect the DMT from powerful low frequency signals.

However, I'm curious about everything that happens (in life) ... and I'll visit SpeedySteve's site today.
    Thank you for pointing that out.

I'm mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sounds like the problem is that the DMT are sounding a bit lost in the large room, no doubt due to their curtailed bass response. Personally I'd save myself a lot of time and trouble and keep the DMT as they are and add two active subwoofers with DSP to fill in from 50 Hz down. Butchering the Tannoys to make some sort of Frankenstein horn/bass bin contraption sounds like it would be an expensive stab in the dark. Okay two proper sub won't be cheap but I guess you could build them yourself. And the DSP would give you maximum flexibility in tuning them to be just right.
    ... exact.

I'm Martin.

Not sure if that means you like my suggestion or hate it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

danilo Guest

Easy /direct suggestion :-) BUY a pair of 15" DMT 2's
    Their twin 15's Will solve both your loudness and Bass concerns.

I'm mic.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Easy /direct suggestion :-) BUY a pair of 15" DMT 2's
    Their twin 15's Will solve both your loudness and Bass concerns.
    Thank you ... but this is not what I want to do.

I'm mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    @Macca: ... 'a bit lost in the large room' ... this is nearly the problem,
    ... and this what I want to do:

A 12" or 15" bass in BR for low freqency signals,
    the 12"DMT's add with a fronthorn like the 15"Westminster ... (fronthorn Ah tuned to 12"Sd) - for lowmidhighs.

In short:

( ( ( ( Westminster 15" fronthorn/Ah, Am, Xmax, k _______ C O N V E R T _______ to a 12" fronthorn ) ) ) )

... with nearly the same lower frequence limit.
    (Am stay the same > Ah convert from 15" to 12" > k in relation to Xmax.)

It would be helpfull an original Westminster blueprint (of this area) ... for reference purposes.
    ... or is there someone who would check the dimensions, please.
    Last edited by h-man; 01-01-2017 at 18:55.

I'm paul.

To the OP, if a front horn is what you want then go for it, but please don't throw too much money at it. If you feel your room is too big and that's the reason for the front horn then the kind of front horn on the Westminster IMO won't give you the extra spl you need. But if you're set on it then I hope it works for you. If I had a large room I would use BMS compression drivers on a proper front horn and be done with it. I had BMS compression drivers on 200hz tractrix horns and liked them very much but active crossover problems destroying a ribbon convinced me to simplify my set up, but that's another story. Contact speedy Steve he started out with grf's and horns and then went all front horns.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm gordan.

FWIW westminsters are anything but just a fronthorn. actually the least of their impact comes from that small and short waveguide.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm mic.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    To the OP, if a front horn is what you want then go for it, but please don't throw too much money at it. If you feel your room is too big and that's the reason for the front horn then the kind of front horn on the Westminster IMO won't give you the extra spl you need. But if you're set on it then I hope it works for you. If I had a large room I would use BMS compression drivers on a proper front horn and be done with it. I had BMS compression drivers on 200hz tractrix horns and liked them very much but active crossover problems destroying a ribbon convinced me to simplify my set up, but that's another story. Contact speedy Steve he started out with grf's and horns and then went all front horns.
    @paulf-2007 ....
    Thank you for your inspiration to walk the way with compression drivers.
    I went this way in the 80s with Coral Drivers (alu-diaphagm) ... change to an identical model SAMMI sm-104 (phenolic!) ... to lowther c45 with horn ... and so on.
    Since 10 years I lie in the harbour of contentment (... can it be said so in English ?) - with TANNOY.
    Today I need a decent bundling of the natural DMT sound - I think this is the right way for me ... perhaps also for some other folks which are not happy with compression- drivers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast