+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pics from our 25th Wedding Anniversary in Austria

I'm John.

Werner, that last photograph is beautiful.

I'm Werner.

John,
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Werner, that last photograph is beautiful.
    thank you! If you want to see more photographs from a longer bicycle journey I took in April/May 2016 visit this thread:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...s-of-my-family

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    John,

thank you! If you want to see more photographs from a longer bicycle journey I took in April/May 2016 visit this thread:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...s-of-my-family

Werner.
    That was great Werner, enjoyed the thread. We are thinking of going somewhere different for family holiday this year (usually a campsite in France). Your and Marco's photos are making me think of Austria! Any areas you would recommend?

I'm Werner.

John,
    Your and Marco's photos are making me think of Austria! Any areas you would recommend?
    this depends on the season and the kind of holidays you prefer. Outdoor activities, cultural interests, mountains, lakes? As a rule of thumb: Starting with Salzburg, the western regions of Austria are more expensive, but usually the mountains there are higher too. For example if you’re interested in good wine and fine, regional meals, Burgenland and Lower Austria (Wachau along the Danube river) usually are the best locations.

Travel to Austria & Holidays in Austria: The Official Travel Guide

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    John,

this depends on the season and the kind of holidays you prefer. Outdoor activities, cultural interests, mountains, lakes? As a rule of thumb: Starting with Salzburg, the western regions of Austria are more expensive, but usually the mountains there are higher too. For example if you’re interested in good wine and fine, regional meals, Burgenland and Lower Austria (Wachau along the Danube river) usually are the best locations.

Travel to Austria & Holidays in Austria: The Official Travel Guide

Werner.
    Thanks Werner, will check this out.

I'm Phil.

That was great Werner, enjoyed the thread. We are thinking of going somewhere different for family holiday this year (usually a campsite in France). Your and Marco's photos are making me think of Austria! Any areas you would recommend?
    i would thoroughly recommend selva in the italian part of the tyrol . magnificent and so many cable cars to get you very high up

https://youtu.be/IDSQ_5MkYiI

also alpbach is a beautiful village high up in the hills , very different from the lovely but very busy mayhofen !
    you would love the views and the area

https://www.alpbachtal.at/en

thomson do holidays to both places
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    i would thoroughly recommend selva in the italian part of the tyrol . magnificent and so many cable cars to get you very high up

https://youtu.be/IDSQ_5MkYiI

also alpbach is a beautiful village high up in the hills , very different from the lovely but very busy mayhofen !
    you would love the views and the area

https://www.alpbachtal.at/en

thomson do holidays to both places
    Thanks Phil, very kind of you to take the time to post.

Can't see Austria as a destination on Thomson's website though, maybe they've stopped going there.

I'm Werner.

Default Potemkin village

Phil,

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    very different from the lovely but very busy mayhofen ! […]
    in case you’re talking about Mayrhofen, the small town in the Zillertal area: I hate to disappoint you or probably to sound too bitter, but in the opinion of many people (including myself) Mayrhofen is nothing more than a so called Potemkin village. The only purpose of Mayrhofen and other, similar destinations in Tyrol and Austria is to fake a romantic, rural idyll to generate as much sales and profit as possible from tourists from all over world.

Mayrhofen and many other touristic destinations have nothing to do with the original, authentic, regional life and culture which once existed there. You have to look elsewhere and avoid the tourist paths if you’re really interested in experiencing such things, in case they still exist. Most Austrian touristic destinations are false, artificial theme parks.

Think about Hallstatt, a famous location in Salzkammergut: On 2 June 2012, it was reported that Chinese mining company China Minmetals Corporation built a full-scale replica of the entire town in Huizhou, Guangdong province. In 1895 attractions and buildings of Venice have been reproduced and shown in the “Prater” of Vienna, very similar to the world famous buildings one can see in Las Vegas nowadays.

It is no coincidence that Mayrhofen as “Lahnenberg” was the most important location and stage used in the deeply black, nasty comedy/satire “Piefke-Saga”, written by the Tyrolean author Felix Mitterer. This legendary four-part TV movie tells about the love/hate relationship and mutual dependency between the Tyroleans and their German holiday guests (known as “krauts” in UK and “Piefke” in Austria) and the devastating impact of tourism on original agriculture, landscape and culture. The Piefke-Saga was aired 1990; since then things got worse, because now mass tourism acts much more professionally and capitalistically.

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 04-01-2017 at 14:31.

I'm Phil.

yes mayhofen is an aquired taste !!

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

Thanks Phil, very kind of you to take the time to post.

Can't see Austria as a destination on Thomson's website though, maybe they've stopped going there.
    yes here we are

http://www.thomsonlakes.co.uk/search/sr.1

http://www.thomsonlakes.co.uk/search/sr.27

Eric Bibb