+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dual mono passive Pre amp, single ended (advice)

I'm James.

Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    I'm not sure if that means you're baffled or annoyed or something else. Care to clarify?
    BTW, what were the pre-amps you compared when you chose the LDR?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I'm not sure if that means you're baffled or annoyed or something else. Care to clarify?
    BTW, what were the pre-amps you compared when you chose the LDR?
    It
    Doesn't mean much mate, I was just imagining my Hifi sounding like a 197"'s tv. I know that wasn't implied, but I found it quite funny.
    I compared the LDR with a Croft Epoch, Expo, Naim and DIY class A Pre amp.
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

RothwellAudio Guest

Perhaps I should mention that I'm actually a big fan of passive pre-amps. Some people say they lack dynamics but I have never found that to be true.
    Anyway, it's interesting that you chose a passive pre-amp in preference to four other pre-amps, all of which were active. I probably would have done the same.

I'm James.

Quite a few years ago I let go of an Expo II/IX, back then it was by far the best pre amp I had heard. Maybe I look back fondly with rose tinted glasses but I would love to hear that combination again in the system I have now.

I'm Deano.

Hehe i love this forum, i suppose we should add it to the list of great british debates

Rolls or Bentley
    Rich tea or Digestives
    Cola cubes or pinapple chunks
    Roast lamb or Beef

Everyone has there own tastes and wont be swayed, thats whats great and frustrating about this hobby,

And the end of the day ya likes what ya likes

😉

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

I'd be interested in trying the LDR when it makes its rounds. I run either a rotel rc850 or a DACT diy passive so it'll be an interesting comparison.
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm George.

I have been playing with a few passive preamps recently and getting interesting results. I really like the Khozmo passive preamps. They are very well put together and use high quality resistors. If you are feeling flush then they make an up-market version, the Hattor. It comes in a really natty box, has very high quality resistors, remote control, balanced input/outputs and is remote controlled. It sound is among the best I have ever heard. It has the dynamics and bass that some passives seem to lessen.

I have tried a lot pf TVCs and their quality seemed variable depending on what I used them with. The music First copper did not work so well with the Audio Research Ref 110 so I bought an ARC Ref 3. The Townshend Allegri did not work ideally with a balanced only input Class D but was a real stunner with a Naim. The Townshend was not as good as the Hattor with the Nord Class D.

Never tried LDRs. Do they need to be re-calibrated every so often as the resistance changes with age, for the same amount of light? Could that impact the balance at low volumes??

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Never tried LDRs. Do they need to be re-calibrated every so often as the resistance changes with age, for the same amount of light? Could that impact the balance at low volumes??
    No if designed properly.

There is misconception I think again here with comment like, "the same amount of light" with the construction of LDR's

The type used to act as sensors for street lamps and ovens and many other purposes, are open face types, are NOT the type used for audio purpose circuits.

An image of each clarifies, they are entirely different devices.

First the open faced type, one would be very silly using these in audio circuits, as they are typically used as a fairly primitive switch.

When the dedicated audio purpose encapsulated type is available
    with well published resistance ON and Resistance OFF figures. The NSL32SR3 being one of the best available
    capable of varying resistance from 60 ohms to well over 20 mega ohms, IMO

Cheers / Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 31-12-2016 at 15:33.

I'm gordan.

is there a forum where no manufacturers are allowed to discuss with normal people.

i fancy a change
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast