+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Berlin

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'll have to say that your English is absolutely perfect.
    I completely agree. Isn't it amazing how so many foreign people speak our language perfectly, and yet how many British people speak a foreign language to any reasonable standard? You're lucky if people here know more than two or three words of French. I'm fluent in Italian, both verbally and written, write and speak reasonable French, and have a smattering of German, which I'm currently learning when I get the chance.

We're very lazy in the UK when in comes to learning foreign languages as we tend to take advantage of the fact that English is one of the most spoken languages in the world and often have the arrogance to expect everyone else to speak our language when we're abroad. This is very lazy thinking!! No wonder it causes resentment sometimes. And we have the cheek to call the French haughty and arrogant!!

Fortunately the situation is improving with kids being taught more foreign languages at school, and at an early age, but for the non-foreign language speakers amongst us it might be a good idea when you're next in France, Spain, or whatever to study the language a bit before going there on holiday if you want to gain the respect of the locals. It doesn't take much to learn a few key phrases!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    ...My favourite German city is Dusseldorf...
    I have to say I have two favourites; Munich for the architecture, buzz and life (and the exceptionally friendly people) and Garmisch-Partenkirchen which is so beautiful
    and breathtaking particularly from the cablecar (tranlates as 'Wank' believe it or not) which goes up the mountain next to it. Fantastic place Germany, must go back there someday.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen from the mountain:

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Rob,

Did you take that pic?

Also, can you rezize it so I can fit it all on my screen?

Dusseldorf Christamas Market in the Altstadt last December:

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I didn't take that one unfortunately as I didn't have my camera with me when I went to Germany, it was during the Oktober Beerfest and didn't want to damage it.

That's a link to Wikipedia's page, I'll try and link a reduced image size, hold on.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Atacama SE24 stands

Nice pic, Rob. Looking at it I feel like I'm there

Yes Germany is a wonderful country. We've been to Cologne on numerous occasions and toured around the surrounding area and countryside, as we usually go over by car (so we can stock up with goodies!).

We've also been to Dortmund and Frankfurt, but mainly just passing through and once when we were at a Rammstein concert, which was absolutely superb When I was younger I also toured the Black Forest area with my parents and the scenery there is stunning. Austria is another favourite country of mine and somewhat similar, although arguably even more beautiful, especially in the winter.

The best thing about Germany though is the quite magnificent beer, which in my view is the best in the world, with a quality and diversity of styles that is almost second to none. The people are very friendly, too, and nothing like their somewhat tabloid stereotypical image as 'deckchair stealers' when in places like Benidorm and other simply awful 'cattle-herding' package holiday destinations of its ilk.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...The best thing about Germany though is the quite magnificent beer, which in my view is the best in the world...
    There's no doubt about that mate, I went to the Hofbräuhaus in Munich one night, the sheer quantity and quality of beer was staggering! The atmosphere was brilliant, lots of dancing on the tables to the oompah band and the best bit was the waiter beer service - fantastic!

I have to say I love Switzerland too, St. Moritz in particular is gorgeous.

Atacama SE24 stands

Rob,

Yes I agree about Switzerland, and the rest of the above!

I've often been there driving on the way to Italy. The view as you climb over the Alps to the Mont Blanc tunnel is absolutely stunning. It's a very expensive country though for a tourist. We were always shocked at the cost of hotels and eating out in Switzerland compared to France.

As a kid I used to love having snowball fights with my dad in the middle of summer on a bright sunny day, because we were up so high, as we pulled over and admired the view of the mountains and the little villages below. Then afterwards on to Italy to our home there where our family come from in Tuscany - and the usual 4-5 week break during the school holidays!

Happy days

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...It's a very expensive country though for a tourist. We were always shocked at the cost of hotels and eating out in Switzerland compared to France....
    Jeez, you said it mate! Back in 1992 when I was last in Switzerland a can of Coke costed the equivalent of £2.00!

Worth it for the fresh air though.

Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread