+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wadia 121 problem

I'm ahto.

Default Wadia 121 problem

I'd appreciate any thoughts from anyone familiar with the Wadia 121 DAC or Wadia repairs in general. my Wadia 121 worked fine for 3+ years, its action always accompanied by a prodigious amount of relay clicks. suddenly there's almost no audible output -- and the clicking is gone. I tried rapping my knuckles on the casing. this brought the sound (& the clicking) back for an hour or two, but didn't prove to be (as I had suspected) a lasting solution.

the problem is shared by the USB and RCA inputs (haven't tried the rest). the display works & the unit accepts remote commands. I've unplugged it for extended periods twice with no joy.

I'm forced to assume the unit is not going to fix itself. it's well out of warranty & googling "Wadia repairs" suggests there's no third-party servicing & it looks like it would need to be shipped to the US. I'd be grateful for any informed advice.

much obliged

ahto
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Alan.

Well it sound like a loose connection maybee a cold soldered or cracked joint on the PCB
    worth taking the top off if your confident ?

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm ahto.

thanks. had a look inside. to say I don't have the first idea would be an understatement. the PCB & the rest of it look very robust -- & extremely miniature.
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm pavel.

HI! How did You solve the Wadia problem, today i occured the same!

I'm ahto.

i contacted the UK reps, who told me the check-up fee was £90. I've moved on to a Raspberry Pi based solution.

I'm pavel.

Thanx 4 an answer! So You didn't repaired it?

I'm ahto.

nope, haven't got round to it.

I'm pavel.

hi eksill!
    i just solve the wadia problem - the cause was cold solder on power supply leg of relay which turns on the rca and xlr output. it costs me 40 euro in polish wadia distributor - horn distribution. best regards!

I'm ahto.

many thanks, I'll ask my local man with the soldering iron what he thinks. watch this space.

I'm ahto.

I can now report it was an issue with a computer board. successfully dealt with by Wadia-authorised technicians in the UK.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast