+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mcintosh MC275

I'm Jez.

I can't stand the styling of their gear!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Shane.

Indeed, an acquired taste for sure!!

S.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Funny , 6 or 7 years back when I auditioned MC275 along C2200(or C2300 sorry can't remember which) and MA2275 I have decided to buy latter as MC275 was too mellow and tubey
    Everyone hears things differently and it was certainly not as you describe to my ears. If anything it had a similar sound to the Musical Fidelity KW kit, a sound/presentation I don't like. I wasn't using a Mac pre though.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I can't stand the styling of their gear!
    Agreed the turntables are truly hideous and having cables coming out of opposite ends makes siting on a rack a bit more problematic and visually unpleasant to my eyes.
    Regards Neil

I'm Jez.

I'm normally not bothered much about styling etc... "it's a tool for the reproduction of music not a fashion statement" is my usual stance over aesthetics.... but Mac gear really is hideous! And yes the TT is really taking the piss!
    It's like the Mac stylists saw some Marantz gear whilst having a bad trip.....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Everyone hears things differently and it was certainly not as you describe to my ears. If anything it had a similar sound to the Musical Fidelity KW kit, a sound/presentation I don't like. I wasn't using a Mac pre though.
    Exactly, hence when spending that amount of money I'd recommend audition and preferably at home .
    As to the pre McIntosh amps seems to sound quite good when paired with their preamps ,

I'm Adrian.

You can't beat accuphase or the luscious wavac amps for styling - the Japanese really know how to do it. Even my Vida has a certain style (except the bloody badge logo) but I can forgive it this sight sin in light of what it produces.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by farflungstar; 25-12-2016 at 17:40.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I'm normally not bothered much about styling etc... "it's a tool for the reproduction of music not a fashion statement" is my usual stance over aesthetics.... but Mac gear really is hideous! And yes the TT is really taking the piss!
    It's like the Mac stylists saw some Marantz gear whilst having a bad trip.....
    As with the sound everybody to their own , I do like McIntosh looks plus they stick to what they do for years , it's my 3rd McIntosh amplifier in last 10-12 years and definitely not the last one , I hope

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    As with the sound everybody to their own , I do like McIntosh looks plus they stick to what they do for years , it's my 3rd McIntosh amplifier in last 10-12 years and definitely not the last one , I hope
    Heard that at a show, via Vienna Acoustic speakers and it sounded pretty nice, nice enough that when an opportunity came up to hear a 275 I said yes.
    Regards Neil

I'm Slav.

I didn't have much choice , I wanted valve integrated with fair amount of Watts behind to drive my KEF ref. 201/2 , it was between Audio Research and McIntosh and as I don't care for AR much when it comes to design and sound it was quite easy to choose .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast