+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mcintosh MC275

I'm Shane.

Default Mcintosh MC275

Always had this on-off curiosity about this particular amp from Mcintosh.

What is the MC275 sound signature like? Do they work well with passive pre's?

I see that Mcintosh in the USA are still producing the MC275. Brand new, they now cost well over 6k

S.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Always had this on-off curiosity about this particular amp from Mcintosh.

What is the MC275 sound signature like? Do they work well with passive pre's?

I see that Mcintosh in the USA are still producing the MC275. Brand new, they now cost well over 6k

S.
    Heard one a few years ago and I must say after reading about this design for years, this so called legend disappointed big time. Tried a few pre-amps etc and it was very solid state sounding, big, brash and bold but lacking a degree of delicacy or nuance.

Try and hear one before putting money into it would be my suggestion.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mika.

I think this is one of the best amps out there. It's true that it does not possess 300b or SET magical midrange but the amp really combines the best sides of trancistor and tube amps being also capable to drive the most speakers out there.

If I ever go back to the passive speakers, two MC275's in mono config might be my choice..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Heard one a few years ago and I must say after reading about this design for years, this so called legend disappointed big time. Tried a few pre-amps etc and it was very solid state sounding, big, brash and bold but lacking a degree of delicacy or nuance.

Try and hear one before putting money into it would be my suggestion.

Was this a ''modern built'' MC275 you heard?

S.
    Last edited by southall-1998; 25-12-2016 at 15:44.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Was this a ''modern built'' MC275 you heard?

S.
    Yes, from about 5 years ago if I recall right. Not heard an older one. I think I just didn't like the presentation and its not about a powerful valve amp, because I own two that both do the delicacy and nuance thing. This was just stark, and forward sounding, somewhat relentless.
    Regards Neil

I'm Shane.

Hmmmm....That description coming from you Neil, sounds like a slight let down to me!

I tend to like tube amps. That sound rounded around the edges, along with that ''stereotype'' warmth. Yeah, I've said it

S.

I'm Geoff.

I reckon you need a vintage Dynaco ST70 Shane. That has the valve 'glow' to the sound. Nice amp!

Go and have another turkey sarnie while you think about it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I reckon you need a vintage Dynaco ST70 Shane. That has the valve 'glow' to the sound. Nice amp!

Go and have another turkey sarnie while you think about it.
    I've just demolished a large Christmas meal. Still yet haven't made my mind up

S.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Yes, from about 5 years ago if I recall right. Not heard an older one. I think I just didn't like the presentation and its not about a powerful valve amp, because I own two that both do the delicacy and nuance thing. This was just stark, and forward sounding, somewhat relentless.
    Funny , 6 or 7 years back when I auditioned MC275 along C2200(or C2300 sorry can't remember which) and MA2275 I have decided to buy latter as MC275 was too mellow and tubey

I'm Adrian.

Accuphase? Luxman? Having researched the Mc's a lot they seem to divide opinion with many loyal to the brand and sound and others saying all fur coat and no knickers. I've never heard one so can't comment - but they're a big spend so deserve a lot of thought. Like accuphase they have a decent second hand value though not quite up there with accuphase.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers