+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSVANE

I'm Shaun.

Default PSVANE

I have just bought a full set of PSVANE 12AU7's and 12AX7's for my preamp. Anyone got any comments...? Anyone got any opinions on these...? Are they going to make me irresistible to women...? Can anything make me so...? Here's hoping they are worth over a ton in cash.

I'm Ralph.

Can't comment on the small bottles but I bought a matched quad of their 211s a while ago and I really do like them, enough to persuade me to try some of their other valves in the future.
    Ralph.

I'm Justin.

The house sound seems to be very clear and dynamic. That's based on 101D and 2A3-T triodes.

I'm Mika.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I have just bought a full set of PSVANE 12AU7's and 12AX7's for my preamp. Anyone got any comments...? Anyone got any opinions on these...? Are they going to make me irresistible to women...? Can anything make me so...? Here's hoping they are worth over a ton in cash.
    Used few sets of those with my McIntosh amp and they were excellent allaround valves. Bit modern sounding perhaps with good resolution and dynamics. Clean midrange however not comparatible to better NOS variants. Still good value with no clear weaknesses imho..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Manny.

I'm in a similar process, but with the octals and KT88's. Looking to try out the Shuguang Treasure CV181Z (6SN7) and PSVANE 6SL7's. The NOS situation as we all know with certain types is at extinction level, and so I hope these are good. I'll certainly report back with my findings.

I'm Shaun.

OK Guys, I've been listening over Christmas and have come to a conclusion or two. The bass appears comparable to the original Prima Luna branded pre's but the midrange is widely different. There is much more precision to the sound with a great deal of stopping and starting. Using Talvin Singh's 'OK' CD there are now many many layers of synth pads swirling around with very clear stops and starts and fades. The treble is like crystal with a fine precision and expression. Don't forget that my main power valves are my favourite EL34's. I shall widen my selection of music and report back more later as so far it has only been the 'OK' album and 'A flock of bleeps' by Younger Brother.

I'm Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    OK Guys, I've been listening over Christmas and have come to a conclusion or two. The bass appears comparable to the original Prima Luna branded pre's but the midrange is widely different. There is much more precision to the sound with a great deal of stopping and starting. Using Talvin Singh's 'OK' CD there are now many many layers of synth pads swirling around with very clear stops and starts and fades. The treble is like crystal with a fine precision and expression. Don't forget that my main power valves are my favourite EL34's. I shall widen my selection of music and report back more later as so far it has only been the 'OK' album and 'A flock of bleeps' by Younger Brother.
    Shaun, good to see you reporting back - do you know what brand the stock valve's are used by Primaluna in your preamp? Have you rolled with any other ECC82 / 83 before?

I'm Brian.

Sounds like a bit of a result then Shaun . It's always great when one can hear improvements straight away
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Shaun.

Sorry guys but no idea what the stock Prima Luna valves were. I have used Gold Lion gold pinned 12AX7's in the past and thought they were stunning but not in this amp combo. That was in an Icon Audio Stereo 20PP and a Croft Micro Basic pre. The Gold Lions are every bit as obvious as these but tend towards a bright and breezy mid and treble. I have to add though that I consider the whole Prima Luna pre/power to be quite bright and breezy anyway even with EL34's. If I had to decide between PSVANE and Gold Lion gold pins I'm afraid I couldn't. They are equally as good as each other to me but the PSVANE's are a bit more obvious.

I'm Shaun.

LOL... I have now had these since Christmas and there is already a major problem. On turning the volume down almost to zero there is now a large hum or buzz through the loudspeakers that disappears when the volume is turned back up. I have re-fitted the original Prima Luna valves and hey presto, no problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast