+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Audio Designs 300b monoblocks

lordmortlock Guest

Default World Audio Designs 300b monoblocks

A pair of superb monoblocks for sale, as I find myself using an integrated amp more and more from a convenience/front room/family friendly POV.

Original sale thread below, push pull design, 26 watts into 6ohms. David/Juancho is a very well regarded electrical engineer and is well known on many of the forums. His original ad describes them pretty well but there are a couple of marks on the side which aren't visible in use. They sound fantastic and are fitted with the valves as per Davids ad, rather then the tjs pictured.

http://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/11...omment-2059386

I paid the listed £1200 but conscious the market is a little sticky right now, so offering them at a bargain £950

They're too heavy to send, so you're welcome to come, audition and collect or I'll drive to meet within a sensible distance.
    Last edited by lordmortlock; 23-12-2016 at 20:34.

I'm Peter.

Jake, do you know if these are a push-pull design ?

Regards;
    Peter
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm inthescottishmafia.

They are parallel single ended.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

lordmortlock Guest

Hey Peter, hope you're well. Sorry, it doesn't look like the link to the original ad is working, so here's the text from David.

I originally built these WAD Monoblocs as my own amplifiers. Later I sold them to my friend as I made a 300b stereo amplifier but I've always had a soft spot for their sound. It's somewhere between a 300b SE amp and a push pull. In fact the original circuit was used for the WAD 300b SE mono blocks and changed for this push pull version.

The amps feature:
    * Silver wiring throughout all signal paths

* Silver solder throughout

* A power supply using Solen polypropylene capacitors, bypassed with Audio Note tin foil and silver mica capacitors, with JJ power supply capacitors as the main psu smoothing capacitors

* Mills non inductive wirewound cathode resistors

* Cardas Golden Ratio coupling capacitors

The are for sale with a complement of valves included. These are: EH Gold Grid premium 300bs, Sylvania 5687 driver valves, Sylvania 6AU6 input valves and Electro Harmonix GU4GB valve rectifiers.

Each amplifier is a monobloc valve amplifier which uses 2 x 300Bs as the output valves and has valve rectification with chokes. Power output is 26 watts into 6 ohms and frequency response 12hz-26khz, with hum at 0.5mv and distortion less than 0.1%. Sensitivity is 300mv. The chassis are in black with aluminium faceplates and chrome transformer caps.The amps have a few slight scratches on one of the transformer covers but are otherwise in excellent condition.

The amplifiers are very quiet and do not audibly hum through my loudspeakers. The feedbackless design gives an unbelievable sound quality that has to be heard to be believed. Drums and other transients have a realism that you simply do not get with designs using feedback. There is plenty of power and drive for a really dynamic performance whatever style of music is your preference. Overall, the amp provides extreme transparency with an incredible musicality and sweetness. They bring boogie factor or musicality to any music and excel at pace, rhythm and timing. Vocals and classical music sound sublime and the soundstage is huge, stretching sideways and forwards and backwards more than virtually any other amps.

The amps sound at their best with a vinyl source but also because of the feedbackless design and sheer musicality, breathe life and character into digital sources. The amplifiers have been compared to some very expensive well known commercial valve amplifiers-including Audio Research, Ear, Audion and Audio Note’s finest-and have easily beaten them on sound quality. I have also compared the amps to AVI, Naim, and Nu Force solid state amplification worth many thousands of pounds and all who have heard them far prefer the sound of these valve monoblocs.
    I used these amps with Elac FS207.2 speakers which are 84db sensitivity and there was loads of power and drive on tap to fill a reasonably large room. I have also used them very successfully with Epos ES30s and Audio Note Ks, and my Wilmslow Audio Prestige clones. There is only one caution and that is that they will not work well with current hungry loudspeakers, so a little care is needed when considering their partners. These amps are very heavy and weigh some 20 kg each. Collection or handover at a mutually convenient point is the seller's preference."

lordmortlock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    They are parallel single ended.
    Nope, push pull. 26 watts into 6 ohms

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. Very tempted.....................but I've promised not to do anything naughty.

They look great, bet they sound sublime.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

lordmortlock Guest

Cheers Geoff. They so sound pretty special. PP bass control and solidity but with that 300b midrange magic.

I'm Adrian.

I'm looking for a second set up and would love them - but no shipping grrrr.
    Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Peter.

Thanks Jake for that detailed reply..... Very much appreciated!

I'm using Audioplan Kontrast MkII floorstanding speakers which I believe are 88db efficient, I love my music with a wide soundstage along with it being dynamic with punch, a lot to ask for I know. I play my music loud at times alright...

I do listen to both vinyl/analogue along with digital streaming. My phono-stage is a Kinshaw Perception 2x box MM/MC switchable, and am using a Len Gregory Music Maker 3 moving iron cartridge. I'm hoping to borrow a friend's Promitheus Audio TVC passive Pre-amp within the next few weeks on long term loan etc...

Regards;
    Peter
    Central Scotland
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

lordmortlock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I'm looking for a second set up and would love them - but no shipping grrrr.
    Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Sorry Adey, I just know how I'd get them to you safely

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast