+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cassette deck set-up/calibration in the UK

I'm Geoff.

Default Cassette deck set-up/calibration in the UK

Hello. I have an Akai GX-912 cassette deck. I got it for what I consider to be a relatively good price, even after I splashed out on a new set of belts, idlers and pinch rollers. I made a tape on it for a friend and, altho with a rough listen it sounded quite good to my ears, I noticed that it was recording slightly slowly when playing the tape on other decks (it sounding slightly faster on these). Also, the left and right channels are imbalanced and I later did some tests of it's recording by playing in some different frequencies and swapping between source and tape and it definitely isn't right in that regard.

I have only just started repairing my own stuff and, altho I am relatively comfortable with the mechanical side of things, I don't yet want to start trying the electronic calibration myself, not yet knowing one end of an oscilloscope from the other.

I would like this deck set up ASAP so that I may start recording with it and so will defer learning to do it all myself further down the line. Therefore, is there anyone in the UK that you might recommend to whom I can send the deck for this to be done or who is within travelling distance from Margate, Kent?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

I'm Hugo.

You can get alignment tapes from Alex Nikitin at ANT Audio http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/ . I doubt anyone else knows as much as he does when it comes to cassettes.

I'm Charlie.

Alex Nikitin (ANT4066 on tapeheads) is probably the UK's best tape guru, having been Creek Audio's chief designer amongst many other roles. He serviced my Nak Dragon and did his fabled 4066 mods - fabulous. However, Alex has stopped servicing tape decks, since he moved from Ruislip to Cheshire about 1-2 years ago. His new job is too busy.

He still sells calibration tapes and 4066 chips, but the OP wants someone to do the calibration work - sadly Alex isn't doing that any more

I'm Adam.

Have sent you a PM...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I found Alex's site and contacted him for prices on the tapes. It was a case of either spending the money on them, only for me to muck everything up myself, or find someone who knows what they're doing for the money instead!

Thanks!

I'm Alan.

I got some cassette calibration tapes of Alex this year great tapes and good service

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread