+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

I'm Paul.

UFO and Blake's 7 - the two finest sci-fi shows ever, IMHO.

Both low-budget, bleak, dystopian and completely character driven and - more important than anything - extremely dark yet often funny.

I once met Avon (Paul Darrow) when I worked for Virgin on Oxford Street and he was camp as Christmas - a proper luvvie. Really nice guy who didn't mind talking about the show and even shot me "that look" at one point as if to prove he could still be Avon if he wanted to be ..
    I also got to have a play with one of the original guns from the show when guesting on a local radio station down here. One of the jocks used to work at the Beeb and he managed to pilfer it, complete with curly phone cord

Getting back to the point about the "future" not being realistic given that the new Blade Runner is only set in 2049, I would ask the poster to remember that it's a fictional universe in which we already have replicants round about now, given the original was set in 2019. So a leap through - presumably, though it's not explained - a nuclear war that ravages the west coast of the USA and on to the slum conditions of a new Los Angeles isn't so far removed is it ??
    Look at Grenfell. Imagine a city full of places like that and sadly you're already there ..
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, A&R P77 > Musical Fidelity XLPS v3 Phono Stage
    Sony CDP-XE520 CD Player > SMSL Sanskrit DAC
    Pure DAB tuner
    Tisbury Mk.1 pre-amp > 2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps > Rega Jura Mk.2 speakers
    Grado SR80 headphones

www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post

Both low-budget, bleak, dystopian and completely character driven and - more important than anything - extremely dark yet often funny.

I once met Avon (Paul Darrow) when I worked for Virgin on Oxford Street and he was camp as Christmas - a proper luvvie. Really nice guy who didn't mind talking about the show and even shot me "that look" at one point as if to prove he could still be Avon if he wanted to be ..
    I also got to have a play with one of the original guns from the show when guesting on a local radio station down here. One of the jocks used to work at the Beeb and he managed to pilfer it, complete with curly phone cord
    I read that by the final series so many of the 'guns' had been pinched by cast and crew that they had to share the last remaining one between all of them, swapping it over between shots.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I read that by the final series so many of the 'guns' had been pinched by cast and crew that they had to share the last remaining one between all of them, swapping it over between shots.
    Well, at least you can make your own teleport bracelet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BR4jgCFAc">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BR4jgCFAc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
    Pure DAB tuner
    Tisbury Mk.1 pre-amp > 2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps > Rega Jura Mk.2 speakers
    Grado SR80 headphones

www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post

Getting back to the point about the "future" not being realistic given that the new Blade Runner is only set in 2049, I would ask the poster to remember that it's a fictional universe in which we already have replicants round about now, given the original was set in 2019. So a leap through - presumably, though it's not explained - a nuclear war that ravages the west coast of the USA and on to the slum conditions of a new Los Angeles isn't so far removed is it ??
    Look at Grenfell. Imagine a city full of places like that and sadly you're already there ..
    I think its a question of film makers making inaccurate leaps at predicting possible futures, after all Blade Runner was made in 1982 and they may have thought 40 years on things would be like their vision. NOT.

I like the original film, but the first voice over version Great noir film.

I like Blake Seven as well.
    Regards Neil

System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

I'm Justin.

The coolest bit was the concept of a replicant in love with a hologram who gets the hologram to merge with a prostitute replicant so he can fuck her.

Kwality.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The coolest bit was the concept of a replicant in love with a hologram who gets the hologram to merge with a prostitute replicant so he can fuck her.

Kwality.
    You have a way with words, mate
    Pure DAB tuner
    Grado SR80 headphones

www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Obviously they hadn't developed the "hard light bee" (of Red Dwarf fame; giving the Rimmer's hologram substance) in 2049!
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567