+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    4K Bluray arriving today from Amazon.
    Saving it for the Weekend, looking forward to it will be a treat.
    C'mon then Gaz, what did you think about it?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Gary.

Disappointing.

One scene (and it was a scene shot for the teaser Trailer) made me feel i was back in the Blade Runner universe, and it literally lasted less than 5 seconds.

Get where they were going with it, but kept thinking "How would Ridley Scott have done this" and constantly saw how "flat" the visuals were in comparison.
    Putting running water to cast shadows on the back wall isn't the same as what Ridley did...
    Difference in Directorial style for sure, Prisoners and Sicario were superb...but they weren't close to Blade Runner.

Happy to be have been there back in the Day when art was made, Alien too...but unfortunately 2049 doesn't compare...or Covenant.
    No fault of all the artists involved, you just cant catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Both films stand apart, happily I can re-watch Blade Runner knowing its a standalone cinematic event.
    Selling my 4K HDR disc, no intention to watch it again.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 18-02-2018 at 18:05.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Thats a shame. Funny but i kinda preferred the second film although i get where your coming from, but i wasnt so hot on first so took second at face value.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Oh that is a shame Gaz after you had been looking forward to it so much. I wonder if you would have felt the same seeing it in an IMAX?

I can't help thinking it's a cinematic experience only film, I think it would be very flat at home. I also wonder if the hype and ravings from some of us may have had a sub-concious effect, I saw it without knowing a thing, which is my preferred way of seeing a film.

Still my best film of 2017.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Brian.

Disappointing.

One scene (and it was a scene shot for the teaser Trailer) made me feel i was back in the Blade Runner universe, and it literally lasted less than 5 seconds.

Get where they were going with it, but kept thinking "How would Ridley Scott have done this" and constantly saw how "flat" the visuals were in comparison.
    Putting running water to cast shadows on the back wall isn't the same as what Ridley did...
    Difference in Directorial style for sure, Prisoners and Sicario were superb...but they weren't close to Blade Runner.

Happy to be have been there back in the Day when art was made, Alien too...but unfortunately 2049 doesn't compare...or Covenant.
    No fault of all the artists involved, you just cant catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Both films stand apart, happily I can re-watch Blade Runner knowing its a standalone cinematic event.
    Selling my 4K HDR disc, no intention to watch it again.
    That's not good mate I know how much you were looking forward to this film .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Just finished the 5th watch this evening. Love it !!

Not as good as the first but a worthy sequel I think.

Jim.

P.S. Got the soundtrack too, sounds great.

I'm Gary.

Ach...
    Maybe on a rewatch it'll bed in a bit better who knows.
    (yes I've changed my mind on rewatching it )

I take the two movies as separate stories in the same world, with a link between them.
    Doesn't stop Blade Runner being what it is, and 2049 does have good stuff going for it.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 19-02-2018 at 06:52.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Just finished the 5th watch this evening. Love it !!

Not as good as the first but a worthy sequel I think.

Jim.

P.S. Got the soundtrack too, sounds great.
    Crikey!

Soundtrack works in the context of the movie I think, but as a stand alone piece of music not so much.
    Like the movie itself, it just makes me want to go back to the original work.

Have about 6 versions of Vangelis' original music including all the bootlegs over the years, guess the new one never stood a chance!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm James.

Crikey!
    That wasn't 5 times in one evening !! Just the 5th time since getting the Disc

Soundtrack works in the context of the movie I think, but as a stand alone piece of music not so much.
    Like the movie itself, it just makes me want to go back to the original work.
    Agreed, it's no Vangelis, but it is good and I do think it works as a stand-alone work, but only after I program the player to get rid of Frank and Elvis. I like a bit of Frank and some of Elvis but if you skip those tracks, turn the lights off and the HiFi up, it really does work. Those Bass notes

Jim

I'm Grant.

i'd keep frank and elvis and dump the rest
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast