+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i'd keep frank and elvis and dump the rest

I'm shocked

I'm Russell.

I was a huge fan of the first movie, and had no trouble following it. And this sequel I thought was making sense right up to the end, but then it took a left turn, and I got lost. Why did he have the wooden toy if he was not the boy in his memories? And when he laid on the steps and died, I didn’t know if he was dead or just resting? A lot of holes in the plot they didn’t try to fill. But I will say that I enjoyed watching it, the visuals and the sound track, lots of action, perhaps if I watch it a few more times I can figure it out?

Russell

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

The Horse

The memory of placing the wooden horse in the old furnace was an implant, K thought he was a replicant but when he found the wooden horse he questioned whether he was human, or a combination of the two from the mystery birth (the date on the tree and the horse). Which is why he went to find out if the memory was true or false from Dr. Ana Stelline (the creator of the memories), who is Deckard's daughter. That memory was actually hers and she placed the horse in the furnace. The memory was implanted into K to try and protect her - so as far as the records were concerned she was dead. This neatly tied that subterfuge off, as even K, tasked to find and destroy the missing child, believed it to be him.

The horse is symbolic, representing K's search for his soul and a desire to be human - wanting to be born and not made, this thread weaves through the plot subtly, but becomes clear when you can link them from repeated viewings.

Don't want to explain much more, for fear of revealing too much for those that either haven't worked it out yet, or not seen it.

I think it's fairly safe to assume he died on the steps . . . . . or did he?

I've seen it 7 times, all at the cinema
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    ...........Why did he have the wooden toy if he was not the boy in his memories?
    I think that memory meant so much to ''the Child'' she implanted it in all the Replicants. The 'Pleasure' (?) Replicant, after spending the night with Joe saw the Horse on the cupboard next to the bed and said ''..it's from my Dream..''.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    ..And when he laid on the steps and died, I didn’t know if he was dead or just resting?
    I think they were implying he was dead. The music playing was very similar to what was playing when Rutger Hauer's character in the first film died.

That's the way I took both those points......could be wrong, but they work in my head !!!!

Jim

I'm James.

Replied at the same time as you Tim

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Tis' a cracking film, in my top 10 of all time.

I'm Mike.

If anyone fancies a LTD (2500 worldwide) vinyl version of the soundtrack drop me a PM.

I've two copies to get rid of with a bent corner on the sleeve. LPs are perfect, one still sealed and one opened and played once.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    The Horse

The memory of placing the wooden horse in the old furnace was an implant, K thought he was a replicant but when he found the wooden horse he questioned whether he was human, or a combination of the two from the mystery birth (the date on the tree and the horse). Which is why he went to find out if the memory was true or false from Dr. Ana Stelline (the creator of the memories), who is Deckard's daughter. That memory was actually hers and she placed the horse in the furnace. The memory was implanted into K to try and protect her - so as far as the records were concerned she was dead. This neatly tied that subterfuge off, as even K, tasked to find and destroy the missing child, believed it to be him.

The horse is symbolic, representing K's search for his soul and a desire to be human - wanting to be born and not made, this thread weaves through the plot subtly, but becomes clear when you can link them from repeated viewings.

Don't want to explain much more, for fear of revealing too much for those that either haven't worked it out yet, or not seen it.

I think it's fairly safe to assume he died on the steps . . . . . or did he?

I've seen it 7 times, all at the cinema
    I’m glad you explained it, I don’t think more viewings would have cleared that up for me! A serious plot twist. I did see the other wooden animals in the hotel, supposedly carved by Decker.

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I think that memory meant so much to ''the Child'' she implanted it in all the Replicants. The 'Pleasure' (?) Replicant, after spending the night with Joe saw the Horse on the cupboard next to the bed and said ''..it's from my Dream..''.

I think they were implying he was dead. The music playing was very similar to what was playing when Rutger Hauer's character in the first film died.

That's the way I took both those points......could be wrong, but they work in my head !!!!

Jim
    Again, I’m glad you caught that, the music as a clue to his death went right over my head. Very sharp! But it’s been many a year since I’ve seen the first movie, I’d never have caught that.

Russell

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

It's the type of film I really enjoy - you need to think and often don't quite get it from one viewing, then when it clicks, you can start to enjoy other elements like the sound/lighting, visuals and acting. Seeing it just once, especially on a big screen can be overwhelming and hard to follow as there's so much to take in.

The music at the end was a master stroke, but you would only get that if you had seen the first film and fully understood what Roy Batty was thinking as he died - the parallel of this scene with K dying is clearly intentional, reinforced by the music. Both replicants, both knowing their time is up and both valuing/envying the human life they never had - very poignant.

Master film making of the highest order - I'm in awe of both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast