+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

I'm Paul.

UFO and Blake's 7 - the two finest sci-fi shows ever, IMHO.

Both low-budget, bleak, dystopian and completely character driven and - more important than anything - extremely dark yet often funny.

I once met Avon (Paul Darrow) when I worked for Virgin on Oxford Street and he was camp as Christmas - a proper luvvie. Really nice guy who didn't mind talking about the show and even shot me "that look" at one point as if to prove he could still be Avon if he wanted to be ..
    I also got to have a play with one of the original guns from the show when guesting on a local radio station down here. One of the jocks used to work at the Beeb and he managed to pilfer it, complete with curly phone cord

Getting back to the point about the "future" not being realistic given that the new Blade Runner is only set in 2049, I would ask the poster to remember that it's a fictional universe in which we already have replicants round about now, given the original was set in 2019. So a leap through - presumably, though it's not explained - a nuclear war that ravages the west coast of the USA and on to the slum conditions of a new Los Angeles isn't so far removed is it ??
    Look at Grenfell. Imagine a city full of places like that and sadly you're already there ..
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post

Both low-budget, bleak, dystopian and completely character driven and - more important than anything - extremely dark yet often funny.

I once met Avon (Paul Darrow) when I worked for Virgin on Oxford Street and he was camp as Christmas - a proper luvvie. Really nice guy who didn't mind talking about the show and even shot me "that look" at one point as if to prove he could still be Avon if he wanted to be ..
    I also got to have a play with one of the original guns from the show when guesting on a local radio station down here. One of the jocks used to work at the Beeb and he managed to pilfer it, complete with curly phone cord
    I read that by the final series so many of the 'guns' had been pinched by cast and crew that they had to share the last remaining one between all of them, swapping it over between shots.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I read that by the final series so many of the 'guns' had been pinched by cast and crew that they had to share the last remaining one between all of them, swapping it over between shots.
    Well, at least you can make your own teleport bracelet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BR4jgCFAc">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BR4jgCFAc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post

Getting back to the point about the "future" not being realistic given that the new Blade Runner is only set in 2049, I would ask the poster to remember that it's a fictional universe in which we already have replicants round about now, given the original was set in 2019. So a leap through - presumably, though it's not explained - a nuclear war that ravages the west coast of the USA and on to the slum conditions of a new Los Angeles isn't so far removed is it ??
    Look at Grenfell. Imagine a city full of places like that and sadly you're already there ..
    I think its a question of film makers making inaccurate leaps at predicting possible futures, after all Blade Runner was made in 1982 and they may have thought 40 years on things would be like their vision. NOT.

I like the original film, but the first voice over version Great noir film.

I like Blake Seven as well.
    Regards Neil

I'm Justin.

The coolest bit was the concept of a replicant in love with a hologram who gets the hologram to merge with a prostitute replicant so he can fuck her.

Kwality.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The coolest bit was the concept of a replicant in love with a hologram who gets the hologram to merge with a prostitute replicant so he can fuck her.

Kwality.
    You have a way with words, mate
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Obviously they hadn't developed the "hard light bee" (of Red Dwarf fame; giving the Rimmer's hologram substance) in 2049!
    Barry

I'm Rich.

I completely misjudged it after seeing the trailer, I thought it was going to be dreadful but I actually really enjoyed it. It looked fantastic and for me it blended perfectly with my memory of Blade runner. The design was superb and felt like a hugely important part of the film. It couldn't escape without having a few tinges of modern film making in it but on the whole I liked how 'classic' it felt.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Absolutely stunning film, not only my film of the year for 2017, but now amongst my favourites of all time. I saw it 7 times, IMAX, Superscreen, 3D and 2D - I can't think of anything I didn't like?

Visually I found it quite breathtaking, but you do need a big screen to really immerse yourself in it. The soundtrack is also a bit special, true to the original but matched seamlessly with the new landscape of 2049. I'm a big fan of Denis Villeneuves' work and this is no exception, I thought the plot worked, the characters worked and there's enough hanging to make another if they want to, which I hope they do. Outstanding performances too from Gosling, Robin Wright and Sylvia Hoeks.

Cinema at it's very best for me.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Gary.

Looking forward to seeing it in 4K.
    Avoided (mostly) anything other than the first reveal trailer, so going in pretty cold.

Movie night booked in February when it comes out, double feature back to back Blade Runner then 2049.
    Getting the popcorn in!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast